1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beam stress

1. Feb 6, 2013 #1
    Here is the original question, i know the first answer as 182mm

A square section cantilever beam, 3 m in length, carries a concentrated load of 10 kN at its free end. If the maximum bending stress is not to exceed 30 MPa determine the minimum dimensions of the section.

Ans 182mm,

What would be the percentage saving in weight if a rectangular section beam, having a depth equal to twice its width, were to be used instead?

Intuitively it seems there would be a weight reduction of 50% if the width dimension was halved however I have the answer to be 29.6%, does somebody know how i would get to this?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why don't you show some calculations and see if the answer pops out.

4. Feb 6, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Equally intuitively, it would have half the load bearing capability. There would have to be a corresponding increase in depth.

5. Mar 25, 2013 #4
    How would i use this in the fomula? To solve the first question i used I to be x*x^3/12, but now because it is of rectangular cross section i would use b and d, however this gives me two uknowns

6. Mar 25, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know a relationship between breadth and depth. From the OP, assume D = 2*B

7. Mar 25, 2013 #6
    Here is my working, i am a few percent off, can you see any mistakes?

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted