1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beam under a distributed load

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A simple beam is under a distributed load q=c*sine(n*pi*x/L)? if there are two pivots at the end points supporting it, what will be the reactionary force on each one of them?

Here, L is the length of the beam and x=0 is the leftmost point. 0[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]L

The figure looks like this.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I cannot figure out how to approach to this problem. can you please help me ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How's your calculus (better than mine, I hope)? Start by integrating the load distribution from 0 to L to solve for the total load, which acts at the centroid of the sinusoidal load distribution. Then what?

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    yes, but the problem is what to do with 'n'? it can change also....wat if n is odd and n is even?

5. Nov 15, 2008 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, good point, that n makes it more difficult. When n is an integer greater than 1, the distributed load curve crosses the x axis, so integrating the load curve from end to end will not help in determining the reactions. It looks like you have to perform separate integrations between n segments that are each (1/n)L in length, then place the load at the centroid of each section to get the end reactions. There's probably a formula to calculate this, but I don't know what it is.

6. Nov 15, 2008 #5
    When n is an integer greater than 1, the distributed load curve crosses the x axis can u tell me in detail this point

7. Nov 15, 2008 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

it crosses at q=0, that is, when sin(n)(pi)x/l = 0, which occurs at x=0, and l/2 when n=2, at x=0, l/3, and 2l/3 when x=3, and in general, at x=0, l/n, .......(n-1)l/n.

8. Nov 15, 2008 #7
    can u tell me where will be the centroid means how to calculate centroid for this case?

9. Nov 16, 2008 #8
    where is the centroid for this case?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?