1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beams and Hinges pushed

1. Aug 10, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The following structure,A force F is applied to the right hinge.If the mass of the rods are equal ,and the length of the rod is equal,the intial angle is also equal to 90 degrees (a square),What is the intial acceleration of leftmost hinge ?

2. Relevant equations
    Coordinate systems ,differentiation

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am quite confused of where to start this problem.I think that stating the coordinates of the hinges,and then differentiating it to find the relation of acceleration.However, I keep getting that the acceleration is the same.Can someone please advise me some idea where to start ,and what principles are at work here.I have not got any idea (due to being inexperienced with problems with hinges like this).Thanks in Advance !

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Please post your working (as required by forum rules).
    Have you analysed the forces on one of the left hand members and one of the right hand members as separate rigid bodies?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted