1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beams and Wires at an Angle

1. Mar 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find cord tension and force on the hinge on this beam given the following:

Picture of the equation (in attachments)
    beam is 10 kg
    beam is 8.0m long

2. Relevant equations

[T=0
    [F=0

3. The attempt at a solution

Finding the Torque on the wire...
    I attached my FBD I drew. Before I start, one question? Since the beam is on an angle, would there be a horizontal force on the x-axis resulting from the Mass of the beam? If so, It could be 60 degrees? Mg Sin60?

That is my attempt using the "Z-rule" in angles

Anyways:

[T= 0
    Tcw = Tccw
    mg(d) = Tsin( ) * (d)
    (10)(9.8)(4) = T sin30 * (8m) ----> Sin 30* given that directly accross is 90 degrees + 60 degrees given = 30 degrees left at where the beam and wire are attached.

392N = T sin30 * (8m)

392N divided by 8m = 49

49 = T sin30

49 divided by sin30 --> 98?

The answer is 49N. Why did I get double the answer? Is there something with my angles?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2013 #2
    The weight of the beam acts at angle to the "arm", so its torque must involve the sine of the angle. Intuitively that should be fairly clear: the "more vertical" the beam gets, the easier it is to hold it in place.

4. Mar 5, 2013 #3
    So instead of "Mg" just being "Mg". It is "Mgsin(30)"? Is that what you are trying to say? If I change that in my equation it works out?

If that is the case, waste no time to say... Would the horizontal axis on Mg also require a MgCos(30) to workout the force from the hinge in components?

5. Mar 5, 2013 #4
    It should be fairly obvious that 49 sin 30 = T sin 30 implies T = 49.

Regarding the forces, the answer is no. If you you use the horizontal and vertical axes, then the weight is purely vertical - it always is; the other forces, however, are not.

6. Mar 5, 2013 #5
    Figured it out! Thanks

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted