Beams-Bending stress exercise

Summary:

I cannot visualise how the wind will cancel the tesile stress due to the selfweight
A chimney has a rectangular cross-section with external dimensions 800 × 600 mm and wall thickness 150 mm. It is 5 m high. The density of the material is 2000 kg/m3. Assuming that the material is elastic, calculate the maximum uniform wind-pressure loading (N/m2) that the chimney can withstand, acting normally to one of the 800 mm wide faces, if no tensile stress is allowed to develop on the cross-section at the base

I can see that the selfweight causes compression on the base, but how does the wind helps to cancel the tensile stress.
I will really appreciate a detailed explanation because I am a bit confused.
Thank you in advance!

Answers and Replies

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Summary:: I cannot visualise how the wind will cancel the tesile stress due to the selfweight

A chimney has a rectangular cross-section with external dimensions 800 × 600 mm and wall thickness 150 mm. It is 5 m high. The density of the material is 2000 kg/m3. Assuming that the material is elastic, calculate the maximum uniform wind-pressure loading (N/m2) that the chimney can withstand, acting normally to one of the 800 mm wide faces, if no tensile stress is allowed to develop on the cross-section at the base

I can see that the selfweight causes compression on the base, but how does the wind helps to cancel the tensile stress.
I will really appreciate a detailed explanation because I am a bit confused.
Thank you in advance!
It’s not the wind load that cancels the tensile stress, the wind load induces tensile stress on one side of the neutral axis, and compressive stress on the other It’s the chimney weight that cancels the tensile bending stress by inducing axial compressive stress.

Likes Chestermiller and pj33
It’s not the wind load that cancels the tensile stress, the wind load induces tensile stress on one side of the neutral axis, and compressive stress on the other It’s the chimney weight that cancels the tensile bending stress by inducing axial compressive stress.
Thanks a lot, that answers a lot!
No I have solved the question.

Likes PhanthomJay