Bear cub rescued

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
Poor little thing.

http://www.redding.com/news/2008/jul/17/firefighter-rescues-tiny-injured-bear-moon-fire/ [Broken]

http://media.redding.com/redd/content/img/photos/2008/07/17/bearcub.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww... why are young animals so cute? Possums when they get older are fairly hideous but the baby ones are really cute.

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
It IS rather strange that humans find most animal babies cute.
It isn't strange that we find human babies cute (that's after all their main adaptive weapon!), but other animals' young? Very strange..

Possibly, it might be an adaptive "misfiring" in that because we have the intelligence to see that these cuties are babies, our own human-oriented baby empathy is kicked into action..

Maybe it's certain healthy asthetic qualities. New healthy fur/hair. Pink healthy skin. And the awkward disproportion of their bodies seems to play a role aswell.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Only six to eight weeks old...I hope he will be OK.

One of those fires is very near the town where I grew up, in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Such a beautiful forest - Ponderosa pine, Sugar pine, Douglas fir, Cedar.

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
But aren't awkwardness and pinkness qualities we perceive in the human baby?

As I see it, we have laid down in us the syllogism: Baby implies cutie to be protected.

This is sufficient for the protection of human babies, but that simplistic algorithm overshoots, so that whenever we identify something as a "baby", it springs into action, whether it is a human or non-human one..

But aren't awkwardness and pinkness qualities we perceive in the human baby?

As I see it, we have laid down in us the syllogism: Baby implies cutie to be protected.

This is sufficient for the protection of human babies, but that simplistic algorithm overshoots, so that whenever we identify something as a "baby", it springs into action, whether it is a human or non-human one..
Yes. I was trying to determine just what characteristics human babies and other mammal babies share that would trigger it. I don't think it is entirely psychological. There are likely certain visual/asthetic cues that evoke the psychological response.

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I think the (over)large, open eyes is an important trigger.

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Auditive triggers would be yelps, mewling and crying in a high, plaintive pitch.

Their willingness to snuggle close to someone they trust is probably important, too.

Smokey Jr. is just so cute!

DaveC426913

Gold Member
I think the (over)large, open eyes is an important trigger.
Large eyes, large cranium in relation to face, tiny nose, mouth. Large head in relation to body, fat, etc.

Probably facial relationships are the most powerful - humans are exquisitely tuned for facial recognition and subtleties.