Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bear cub rescued

1. Jul 20, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2008 #2
    Awww... why are young animals so cute? Possums when they get older are fairly hideous but the baby ones are really cute.

4. Jul 20, 2008 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It IS rather strange that humans find most animal babies cute.
    It isn't strange that we find human babies cute (that's after all their main adaptive weapon!), but other animals' young? Very strange..

Possibly, it might be an adaptive "misfiring" in that because we have the intelligence to see that these cuties are babies, our own human-oriented baby empathy is kicked into action..

5. Jul 20, 2008 #4
    Maybe it's certain healthy asthetic qualities. New healthy fur/hair. Pink healthy skin. And the awkward disproportion of their bodies seems to play a role aswell.

6. Jul 20, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Only six to eight weeks old...I hope he will be OK.

One of those fires is very near the town where I grew up, in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Such a beautiful forest - Ponderosa pine, Sugar pine, Douglas fir, Cedar.

7. Jul 20, 2008 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

But aren't awkwardness and pinkness qualities we perceive in the human baby?

As I see it, we have laid down in us the syllogism: Baby implies cutie to be protected.

This is sufficient for the protection of human babies, but that simplistic algorithm overshoots, so that whenever we identify something as a "baby", it springs into action, whether it is a human or non-human one..

8. Jul 20, 2008 #7
    Yes. I was trying to determine just what characteristics human babies and other mammal babies share that would trigger it. I don't think it is entirely psychological. There are likely certain visual/asthetic cues that evoke the psychological response.

9. Jul 20, 2008 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I think the (over)large, open eyes is an important trigger.

10. Jul 20, 2008 #9
    Lol... yes! And the squinty scrunched up face look too!

11. Jul 20, 2008 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Auditive triggers would be yelps, mewling and crying in a high, plaintive pitch.

Their willingness to snuggle close to someone they trust is probably important, too.

12. Jul 21, 2008 #11
    Smokey Jr. is just so cute!

13. Jul 21, 2008 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Large eyes, large cranium in relation to face, tiny nose, mouth. Large head in relation to body, fat, etc.

Probably facial relationships are the most powerful - humans are exquisitely tuned for facial recognition and subtleties.

14. Jul 21, 2008 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not always.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?