Firefighter Rescues Injured Bear Cub at Moon Fire

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary: A cyclops kitten is apparently not a hoax. In summary, the kitten has one eye that is significantly bigger than the other.
Andre
Poor little thing.

http://www.redding.com/news/2008/jul/17/firefighter-rescues-tiny-injured-bear-moon-fire/

http://media.redding.com/redd/content/img/photos/2008/07/17/bearcub.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Awww... why are young animals so cute? Possums when they get older are fairly hideous but the baby ones are really cute.

It IS rather strange that humans find most animal babies cute.
It isn't strange that we find human babies cute (that's after all their main adaptive weapon!), but other animals' young? Very strange..

Possibly, it might be an adaptive "misfiring" in that because we have the intelligence to see that these cuties are babies, our own human-oriented baby empathy is kicked into action..

Maybe it's certain healthy asthetic qualities. New healthy fur/hair. Pink healthy skin. And the awkward disproportion of their bodies seems to play a role aswell.

Only six to eight weeks old...I hope he will be OK.

One of those fires is very near the town where I grew up, in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Such a beautiful forest - Ponderosa pine, Sugar pine, Douglas fir, Cedar.

But aren't awkwardness and pinkness qualities we perceive in the human baby?

As I see it, we have laid down in us the syllogism: Baby implies cutie to be protected.

This is sufficient for the protection of human babies, but that simplistic algorithm overshoots, so that whenever we identify something as a "baby", it springs into action, whether it is a human or non-human one..

arildno said:
But aren't awkwardness and pinkness qualities we perceive in the human baby?

As I see it, we have laid down in us the syllogism: Baby implies cutie to be protected.

This is sufficient for the protection of human babies, but that simplistic algorithm overshoots, so that whenever we identify something as a "baby", it springs into action, whether it is a human or non-human one..

Yes. I was trying to determine just what characteristics human babies and other mammal babies share that would trigger it. I don't think it is entirely psychological. There are likely certain visual/asthetic cues that evoke the psychological response.

I think the (over)large, open eyes is an important trigger.

arildno said:

Lol... yes! And the squinty scrunched up face look too!

Auditive triggers would be yelps, mewling and crying in a high, plaintive pitch.

Their willingness to snuggle close to someone they trust is probably important, too.

Smokey Jr. is just so cute!

arildno said:

Large eyes, large cranium in relation to face, tiny nose, mouth. Large head in relation to body, fat, etc.

Probably facial relationships are the most powerful - humans are exquisitely tuned for facial recognition and subtleties.

arildno said:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/unusual-tales/cyclops-kitten-no-hoax/2006/01/11/1136956230663.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Who rescued the injured bear cub at the Moon Fire?

The injured bear cub at the Moon Fire was rescued by a firefighter.

2. How did the firefighter find the bear cub?

The firefighter found the bear cub while battling the Moon Fire. The cub's mother had abandoned it and it was injured and alone.

3. What happened to the bear cub after it was rescued?

The bear cub was taken to a wildlife rehabilitation center where it received medical treatment for its injuries.

4. What is the current condition of the bear cub?

The current condition of the bear cub is stable and it is expected to make a full recovery.

5. Will the bear cub be released back into the wild?

Once the bear cub has fully recovered, it will be released back into the wild where it can live freely in its natural habitat.