Black Bear Downs 36 Beers in Washington Campground

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, a young black bear in Washington state was relocated by authorities after allegedly consuming large amounts of beer and passing out at a campground. This behavior was reminiscent of a similar incident in which a fraternity member was relocated to the roof of a house while drunk. In another incident, a man at a company Christmas party was placed on a forklift while intoxicated. The bear in question showed a preference for Rainier beer and was eventually lured away with snacks and more beer.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Authorities relocated a young, black bear away from a campground in Washington state after he reportedly downed dozens of beers and passed out. [continued]

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2004/08/19/drunkbear040819.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Once in college, my fraternity brothers relocated me to the roof of the house, after doing the same thing.

A long time ago I worked with a bunch of guys that got really drunk at the company Christmas party. We took one guy that was completely plastered and sent him up on a pallet, on a ~30' forklift! Then we all went home for the holiday. In fact we had all forgotten about him! When we all came back a couple of days later and Phil wasn't in on time, it suddenly dawned on everyone...oh...what ever happened to Phil? Apparently he had woke up some number of hours later and managed to climb down. Not only did he show up late for work that day, he had a bit of an attitude problem, IMO. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i heard on the news that this bear wouldn't touch the busch beer and preferred only the rainier beer...

They tried to lure the bear away using snack food and more beer.

I think they caught about a dozen campers first before finally catching the bear! :rofl: :biggrin:

Authorities relocated a young, black bear away from a campground in Washington state after he reportedly downed dozens of beers and passed out.

psshhht...lightweight.

I can do that but I don't want to.

jimmy p said:
I can do that but I don't want to.

It could give a whole new meaning to spraymaster! :uhh: :surprise:

1. How did a black bear get access to 36 beers in a Washington campground?

It is likely that the beers were left unattended and the bear was able to access them. Bears are known to be opportunistic and will take advantage of easily accessible food sources.

2. Can black bears actually drink beer?

Yes, black bears have been observed drinking beer in the wild. However, it is not recommended to intentionally give beer to a bear, as it can have negative effects on their health and behavior.

3. What are the potential consequences of a bear consuming 36 beers?

Consuming that much alcohol can be dangerous for a bear and can lead to disorientation, loss of coordination, and even death. Additionally, it can alter their behavior and make them more aggressive.

4. Did the bear suffer any long-term effects from drinking so much beer?

It is not clear if the bear suffered any long-term effects from consuming so much beer. However, it is likely that it experienced some short-term effects such as a hangover or dehydration.

5. How can campers prevent bears from accessing their food and drinks?

Campers can prevent bears from accessing their food and drinks by properly storing them in bear-proof containers or hanging them from a tree. It is also important to clean up any food or drink spills and properly dispose of any trash.