How can I securely fix a bearing inside a pipe without permanent installation?

In summary, Molitor suggests using a small socket head set screw to secure the bearing in place. If there is significant vibration or stress upon the bearing, he recommends dimpling the outer race where the set screw contacts it.
hamdan_neo
hello,
i want to fix a bearing inside a pipe but not "permanently" so i can remove it and change it whenever i need.
please if anyone has a method for fixing it, share it with me ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the wall is thick enough you could drill at least one hole through the wall of the pipe to intersect the location of the outer race, assuming this is a sealed roller bearing. You could then tap the hole with an appropriate thread for a small socket head set screw. Position the bearing where it will normally reside within the pipe and tighten the set screw to apply pressure to the outer race and secure it in place. I you were to use a longer than required set screw you could screw a nut down on the protruding segment of thread and tighten it after the bearing was secured to act as a Jam-nut which would aid in restricting the movement of the set screw.

I work in a Machining/Welding business and have used this as a ''Quick n' Dirty'' method for fastening an object temporarily inside a housing or enclosure.

Excellent suggestion, Molitor. If there is any significant vibration or stress upon the bearing, though, I would further recommend dimpling the outer race where the set screw contacts it, to secure it a bit better (like how a hand-held die is fixed in its handle).
If you want needless elegance, or to show off, you could thread the outside of the race and the inside of the pipe and screw them together. :biggrin:

Thanks a lot molitor, it is an excellent idea, i will work on it now ... really thanks again :D

I'm really glad I could help. I know thousands of tricks when it comes to applications. Its what I do for a living.

1. What is a bearing fix inside a pipe?

A bearing fix inside a pipe refers to a method used in engineering and construction to stabilize a pipe within a larger structure, such as a building or bridge. It involves placing bearings, which are small metal or polymer devices, inside the pipe to support and distribute the weight of the pipe.

2. Why is a bearing fix necessary for pipes?

A bearing fix is necessary for pipes because it helps to prevent structural damage and failure. Pipes, especially large ones, can put a lot of stress on the structures they are attached to. A bearing fix helps to distribute this weight and prevent excessive strain on the structure, ensuring its stability and longevity.

3. What types of pipes can benefit from a bearing fix?

A bearing fix can be used for a wide range of pipes, including water and sewage pipes, gas pipes, and heating and cooling pipes. It is particularly useful for large pipes that carry a significant amount of weight and pressure, as well as pipes that are attached to high-rise buildings or other structures.

4. How is a bearing fix installed inside a pipe?

The process of installing a bearing fix inside a pipe involves first identifying the appropriate location for the bearings. Then, the bearings are secured inside the pipe using specialized tools and techniques. The bearings are typically placed at specific intervals along the length of the pipe to evenly distribute the weight and pressure.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a bearing fix for pipes?

While a bearing fix can greatly improve the stability and longevity of pipes, there are some potential drawbacks to consider. The installation process can be complex and may require specialized equipment, which can add to the overall cost. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspections may be needed to ensure the bearings are functioning properly and to prevent any potential issues.