Calculating Bearing Friction Torque in Winding Drum System

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating friction torque caused by bearings in a winding drum. The bearing size is given as 200mm OD and has a coefficient of friction of 0.04. The load force on the outside of the drum is known, and the torque caused by the load is 1.25*F. There is confusion about the units and whether the force or torque should be used in the calculation. Assistance is requested.
Simon.T
I am familiar with the basics concept of kinetic friction (such as pushing a box on a surface), but how do you calculate the friction torque caused by a bearing for example?

In my college assignment, I have been told the bearings in a winding drum have a coefficient of friction of 0.04 (bearing size 200mm OD). The drum is 2.5m OD, and I know the load force on the outside of the drum (lets call it F). The torque caused by the load on its own is 1.25*F. Is the torque caused by the bearing friction therefore ((1.25*F)/0.1)*0.04?

I hope this made some sense...

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
check your units ... I think you have a Force there, not a torque.
what Force would it be?

lightgrav said:
check your units ... I think you have a Force there, not a torque.
what Force would it be?

Friction force? :confused:

1. What is the bearing friction equation?

The bearing friction equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the amount of friction generated between two surfaces in contact, such as a rotating shaft and a bearing. It takes into account factors such as the shape, size, and material of the surfaces, as well as the speed and load applied.

2. Why is bearing friction important?

Bearing friction is important because it affects the overall performance and efficiency of a mechanical system. High levels of friction can lead to increased wear and energy loss, while low levels of friction can improve system efficiency and longevity.

3. How is the bearing friction equation calculated?

The bearing friction equation is typically calculated using a combination of experimental data and theoretical models. It takes into account factors such as the coefficient of friction, contact pressure, and surface roughness to determine the amount of friction generated between two surfaces.

4. What factors can affect the bearing friction equation?

The bearing friction equation can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the type of lubrication used, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and the design and materials of the bearing and rotating shaft.

5. How can the bearing friction equation be used in practical applications?

The bearing friction equation can be used to optimize the design and performance of mechanical systems by selecting the most suitable bearing and lubrication combination, as well as identifying potential issues such as excessive wear or energy loss. It can also be used in predictive maintenance to monitor and predict the health of bearings in industrial equipment.