Sailing along multiple Bearings Problem

I don't know how you got 7.12 km.In summary, a man sails 30 km from a port P to a lighthouse Q on a bearing of 128 degrees. Then he sails another 25 km to R on a bearing of 295 degrees. Using the cosine law, the distance of PR is approximately 7.97 km.
SiriusA

Homework Statement

A man sails 30 km from a port P to a lighthouse Q on a bearing of 128 Degrees. Then he sails another 25 km to R on a bearing of 295°. Calculate the distance of PR.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Well , actually I solved all of the problems before this . I also know how to solve this but stuck after drawing the figure .
The figure is
FAJdyUF.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What, exactly is your question? You say "I know how to solve this" so what is stopping you?

There are two ways to do any problem like this. Since you show no attempt yourself, I don't know which would be more appropriate for you:
1) Break each leg into it "east" and "north" components. The first leg has components (30 cos(128), 30 sin(128)). The second leg has components (25 cos(295), 25 sin(295)).

2) Solve it as a triangle. You have a triangle with two sides of length 30 and 25. The angle at point P is 180- 128= 52 degrees and the angle above the top side of the triangle at point Q is also 52 degrees so the angle in the triangle at Q is 360- 52- 295= 13 degrees. You can use the "sine law" to find the length of the third side and third angle.

I considered the second way of solving because I haven't learned yet the first way . But the answer is coming a little away . The diagram which I showed was a little off-the-track . Look at this one : I think the method will change slightly now .
dd3BOyj.png

Last edited:
Please tell us what you did and why you have not yet solved the problem. You have one side of the triangle with length 25 and opposite angle 52 degrees. The side you want, PR, is opposite a 13 degree triangle. By the sine law,
[tex]\frac{PR}{sin(13)}= \frac{25}{sin(52)}[/tex].

I think that the side PR , that is not a straight line . So if we get the angle 52 we get it to somewhere before the start of PR .

SiriusA said:
I think that the side PR , that is not a straight line .
How could side PR NOT be a straight line? Two points (P and R) define a straight line.
SiriusA said:
So if we get the angle 52 we get it to somewhere before the start of PR .

First, thanks Mark for replying. But the point I wass trying to make is that of we consider a 180 degree line at Bearing 0 that is at North. Then after we subtract 90 and the other angle we'll be having only a part of angle P and not the whole angle so we can not solve this way.

SiriusA said:
First, thanks Mark for replying. But the point I wass trying to make is that of we consider a 180 degree line at Bearing 0 that is at North.
What does this mean? I don't understand "180 degree line at Bearing 0."
SiriusA said:
Then after we subtract 90 and the other angle we'll be having only a part of angle P and not the whole angle so we can not solve this way.
What does "part of angle P" mean?

What would help is for you to draw two right triangles. These will help you find the coordinates of points Q and R. The upper right triangle has the first leg of his journey (30 km) as its hypotenuse, and the lower right triangle has the second leg (25 km) as its hypotenuse. From the given information you can find the acute angles of each triangle. Using some basic trig you can find the coordinates of the points Q and R, which you can use to find the distance from R to P.

From my sketch of the journey, point R is south and a little east of the starting point. Your first drawing shows R to be due south of the start point - it's not. Your second drawing shows R to be south and a bit west of the start point - R should be east of the start point.

HallsofIvy said:
Please tell us what you did and why you have not yet solved the problem. You have one side of the triangle with length 25 and opposite angle 52 degrees. The side you want, PR, is opposite a 13 degree triangle. By the sine law,
[tex]\frac{PR}{sin(13)}= \frac{25}{sin(52)}[/tex].
I am getting a different answer if I use the sine rule and a different answer using the cosine rule. The sine rule gives me 7.12 as an answer and the cosine rule gives me 7.97.

Erum said:
I am getting a different answer if I use the sine rule and a different answer using the cosine rule. The sine rule gives me 7.12 as an answer and the cosine rule gives me 7.97.
From post #4 (which BTW is almost 8 years old):
HallsofIvy said:
Please tell us what you did and why you have not yet solved the problem. You have one side of the triangle with length 25 and opposite angle 52 degrees.
The second angle here (52°) comes from the first drawing in this thread, in which the side PR appears to be vertical; i.e. point P is due north of point R).

In the second drawing, the direction from R to P is not due north, so we don't know what ∠RPQ is, so can't assume it is 52°. This also means that we don't have enough information to use the sine law.

We do know ∠PQR (13°) and the two sides that join to make that angle, so we can use the cosine law to solve for PR.

When I use the cosine law, I get a value for PR of approximately 7.97 km, the same as what you showed.

Last edited:

What is the "Sailing along multiple Bearings Problem"?

The "Sailing along multiple Bearings Problem" is a navigation problem that involves finding the shortest path between a starting point and multiple destination points, while taking into account the direction and distance of each destination.

Why is the "Sailing along multiple Bearings Problem" important?

This problem is important for sailors and navigators because it allows them to efficiently plan their routes and avoid wasting time and resources by taking unnecessary detours.

What are the key factors to consider when solving the "Sailing along multiple Bearings Problem"?

The key factors to consider are the starting point, the destination points, the direction and distance of each destination, and any obstacles or constraints that may affect the route.

What are some common techniques used to solve the "Sailing along multiple Bearings Problem"?

Some common techniques include using trigonometric functions to calculate the bearing and distance between points, using vector algebra to determine the shortest path, and using graph theory to model the problem and find the optimal route.

What are some real-world applications of the "Sailing along multiple Bearings Problem"?

This problem has many practical applications, such as route planning for ships and aircraft, navigation for hikers and backpackers, and even for optimizing travel routes for delivery vehicles and taxis.