Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bears playing hockey

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1

Mk

How are these bears playing hockey?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since it's a Russian circus I assume lots of training involving only kindness and carefully monitored by animals safety authorities - no cruelty at all

4. Nov 22, 2009 #3
    As opposed to any other circus where the animals are willing participants with great pay and benefits?

5. Nov 22, 2009 #4
    The goalies are still hibernating! :biggrin:

6. Nov 22, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One of them has been signed by the canucks.

7. Nov 22, 2009 #6
    I don't believe it. The ice skates give it away. Bear feet are too wide for those skates. Those are orangatangs in skillfully crafted bear suits.

8. Nov 22, 2009 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Are you suggesting that all animals in captivity, in principle, are slaves?

I think that may be a misconception.

Animals that are well-fed and cared-for can to be quite happy. They thrive on routine, good food and attention.

I'm not suggesting all animals in captivity are happy, what I'm suggesting is that captivity in-and-of-itself is not the determining factor. Instead, well-cared-for animals tend to be happy, poorly-treated animals tend to unhappy.

9. Nov 22, 2009 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You sound like a Talosian. :biggrin:

10. Nov 23, 2009 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I pulse my temples in your general direction.

11. Nov 23, 2009 #10
    No, but not all animals in captivity are in circuses either. Circus animals are basically slaves.

12. Nov 23, 2009 #11

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure I'm seeing what needs to be debunked in this video... they're just trained animals.

13. Nov 23, 2009 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How do you know? Have you asked them? Do you think they are entitled to wages?

Not all animals who work for a living would choose to be set free instead. Regular food and a caring owner can have that effect.

I think you are in danger of anthropomorphizing them - thinking that they're being kept from realizing their dreams and making their own mark on the world.

14. Nov 23, 2009 #13
    I think you're in danger of thinking too deeply about my original remark. Many* circus animals are mistreated, here and in Russia. Isn't this common knowledge?

*I'd say most, but I haven't done undercover investigations. I do know how humans with their livelihoods at stake act though, and that means it's not looking good for the animals.

15. Nov 23, 2009 #14

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I ask again:

Why is this in the SKEPTICISM & DEBUNKING forum?

16. Nov 23, 2009 #15

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The fight at the end was a nice touch. Just like real hockey! :tongue2:

17. Nov 23, 2009 #16
    I think the slavery issue is easily decided. Open the cage door. If they leave and don't come back they are Cubans--I mean slaves.

18. Nov 23, 2009 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It is well-known yes. Even here.

19. Nov 23, 2009 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not everything in here is debunkable or inexplicable. In this case, it appeears to be a case of trained animals, and not people in bear suits who are pretending to be real bears, or cgi.

20. Nov 28, 2009 #19
    I hope no one here is seriously advocating for the continued use of animals in circus and performance acts? This recent bear hockey video is just another example of humans abusing animals for so they can have their 'fun' day at the circus...

21. Nov 28, 2009 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How do you know they're being abused?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook