Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beast Numbers

1. May 26, 2007 #1
    Hello!

I got a problem:

I want to find out the first ten apocalyptical numbers.By definition, a number of the form 2^n that contains the digits 666 (i.e., the beast number) is called an apocalyptic number.

I tried to write a short program with mathematica:

l := Table[2^n, {n, 1, 1000}]
    a := IntegerDigits[l]
    Select[a, MatchQ[a, {6, 6, 6}], 10]

However, the result is always {}
    What's wrong with the program above?

Can somebody give me an advice?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2007 #2
    First a general comment: in this case the use of SetDelayed := will cause reduced performance, because it is unnecessary to recalculate the table each time it is refered to.

Now, notice that the second argument of Select should be a function. If you execute:
    Code (Text):

MatchQ[a,{6,6,6}]
    It returns False, because a (a table of list of digits of integers) does not literally match {6,6,6}. What we really want is a function that compares each element of a with {6,6,6}, which could be given as:
    Code (Text):

l := Table[2^n, {n, 1, 1000}]
    a := IntegerDigits[l]
    Select[a, MatchQ[#, {6, 6, 6}]&, 10]
    (the # is the formal parameter of the pure function and the & delimits its body).

Now executing the code I gave still returns the empty set, and this is because we are only checking for numbers that match 666, not those of the form:

*digits* 666 *more digits*

To do this in mathematica we use a BlankSequence (two underscores). This works to find your numbers:
    Code (Text):

l = Table[2^n, {n, 1, 1000}];
    a = IntegerDigits[l];
    Select[a, MatchQ[#, {__,6, 6, 6,__}]&, 10]
    but since we are matching a pattern rather then testing a boolean, it makes more sense to use Cases:

It might be nice to return the results as integers, rather then lists, and write the program in one line:

Code (Text):
    FromDigits/@Take[Cases[IntegerDigits@Table[2^n,{n,1,2000}],{__,6,6,6,__}],10]

Last edited: May 26, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?