Beat Frequency Chart: Solve Problems & Find Original Freq.

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's struggle with understanding beat frequency and using a chart to solve problems related to it. The conversation also covers different scenarios and steps to take when determining the original frequency of a string in a beat frequency problem. The final solution is that the original frequency of the string is 434 Hz, which is determined by looking at the change in beat frequency when the string is tightened.
Alain12345
I've posted a few threads on beat frequency, but I still need help. I know that it's really simple, and once I get it I'm going to kick myself for being so stupid, but it just won't get through my head.

I made a chart to help me figure out which possibility is the original one in beat frequency problems. I was only able to complete half of it.

A sample problem is:

When a guitar string is sounded against a 440 Hz tuning fork, twelve beats are heard in two seconds.
a) What are the possible frequencies of the string?
b) If the person tightens the string, the beat frequency decreases. What then is the original frequency of the string, and why?

Attachments

• Beat Frequency Chart.JPG
    Beat Frequency Chart.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 442
Physics news on Phys.org
Alain12345 said:
I've posted a few threads on beat frequency, but I still need help. I know that it's really simple, and once I get it I'm going to kick myself for being so stupid, but it just won't get through my head.

I made a chart to help me figure out which possibility is the original one in beat frequency problems. I was only able to complete half of it.

A sample problem is:

When a guitar string is sounded against a 440 Hz tuning fork, twelve beats are heard in two seconds.
first, do you know how to get the beat frequency from these numbers?
a) What are the possible frequencies of the string?
do you know how to get the two possible frequencies of the string?
b) If the person tightens the string, the beat frequency decreases. What then is the original frequency of the string, and why?
For this part, it's better to clearly break the solution in two steps. First, ignore the tightening part. But I want to first make sure you know how to do the first two parts. Then we will work out through this last part.

Yes, I do know how to solve the first two parts. The beat frequency is 6, and the two possibilities are 434 Hz and 446 Hz.

Alain12345 said:
Yes, I do know how to solve the first two parts. The beat frequency is 6, and the two possibilities are 434 Hz and 446 Hz.
Ok.

Now here's the tricky part. There are really two steps to the solution and what confuses people comes usually because they are trying to go through both steps at the same time.

For now, ignore completely the fact that beat frequency decreased as opposed to increased. Focus on the fact that the string was tightened. What happens to the frequency of a vibrating string when its tension is increased?

The frequency goes up

Alain12345 said:
The frequency goes up
Ok. Now is the key point:

If the initial frequency of the string is 634 Hz and its frequency increases, what happens to the beat frequency?

If the initial frequency of the string is 646 Hz and its frequency increases, what happens to the beat frequency?

If you can answer that and look at the question, you will know what the initial frequency of the string was.

What matters in the end is two things: is the string tightened or loosened AND if the beat frequency increases or decreases. For this example (with an initial beat frequency of 6 Hz and a tuning fork of 440 Hz, you should do a chart showing all four cases and giving for each case the initial frequency of the string (which is either 634 or 646 Hz).

For example:

A) If the beat frequency increases as the string is tightened, the initial string frequency was ...

B) If the beta frequency decreases as the string is tightened, the initial string frequency was ...

C) If the beat frequency increases as the string is loosened...

D) if the " " decreases as the string is loosened...

That covers all cases

I think I've got it now. But if I were to have to explain it on a test, would this be a good enough answer?

The original frequency is 434 Hz. This is because when the string was tightened, the beat frequency decreased, and the frequency increased. So if you take the two possible frequencies and increase by one, the lesser of the two possibilities (434 Hz) is closer to 440 Hz.

Alain12345 said:
I think I've got it now. But if I were to have to explain it on a test, would this be a good enough answer?

The original frequency is 434 Hz. This is because when the string was tightened, the beat frequency decreased, and the frequency increased. So if you take the two possible frequencies and increase by one, the lesser of the two possibilities (434 Hz) is closer to 440 Hz.
You got the right idea although I find the explanation a bit confusing. I would say "when the string was tightened, its frequency increased. Since the beat frequency decreased, we know that the frequency of the string was getting closer to the frequency of the tuning fork, therefore the initial frequency of the string had to be lower than the frequency of the tuning fork, hence 634 Hz"

But that's a bit subjective what is a good verbal explanation (in other words, don't hold me responsible if your prof prefers another wording:biggrin: )

Patrick

nrqed said:
You got the right idea although I find the explanation a bit confusing. I would say "when the string was tightened, its frequency increased. Since the beat frequency decreased, we know that the frequency of the string was getting closer to the frequency of the tuning fork, therefore the initial frequency of the string had to be lower than the frequency of the tuning fork, hence 634 Hz"

But that's a bit subjective what is a good verbal explanation (in other words, don't hold me responsible if your prof prefers another wording:biggrin: )

Patrick

lol it's just Grade 11 physics, I don't think my teacher's going to get that picky:wink: . Thanks a lot for your help! :tongue2:

1. What is a beat frequency chart?

A beat frequency chart is a graphical representation of the difference between two frequencies. It is used to solve problems related to sound waves, such as finding the original frequency of a sound.

2. How is a beat frequency chart constructed?

A beat frequency chart is constructed by plotting the difference between two frequencies on the y-axis and the average of the two frequencies on the x-axis. The resulting curve shows the beat frequency at different intervals of the two frequencies.

3. What is the significance of a beat frequency chart?

A beat frequency chart is significant because it helps in understanding the interference pattern created by two sound waves of different frequencies. It also allows for the calculation of the original frequency of a sound wave by analyzing the beat frequency.

4. How can a beat frequency chart be used to solve problems?

A beat frequency chart can be used to solve problems related to sound waves, such as finding the original frequency of a sound or determining the frequency of a tuning fork. By analyzing the beat frequency and using mathematical formulas, the unknown frequency can be calculated.

5. Can a beat frequency chart be used for other types of waves?

Yes, a beat frequency chart can also be used for other types of waves, such as electromagnetic waves. The concept of beat frequency remains the same, but the frequencies and calculations may vary depending on the type of wave.