What Beat Frequency Results from Unequal Tensions in Piano Strings?

In summary: This will give you the frequency of the string at 516 N, which you can then use in the beat frequency equation.In summary, the problem involves finding the beat frequency between two strings on a piano keyboard, one of which has slipped from its normal tension. The equation f(beat)=f1-f2 is helpful in solving this problem, but you will also need to use the relationship between string tension and frequency. This can be found using the equation Tension=(velocity^2)*((mass)/(length)), even though the values for mass and length are not given. Once you have the frequency of the second string at 516 N, you can plug it into the beat frequency equation to calculate the answer in units of beats per
physics10189

Homework Statement

In certain ranges of a piano keyboard, more
than one string is tuned to the same note to
provide greater intensity. For example, the
note at 162 Hz has two strings at this pitch.
If one string slips from its normal tension of
645 N to 516 N, what beat frequency will be
heard when the two strings are struck simul-
taneously? Answer in units of beats/s.

Homework Equations

f(beat)=f1-f2

The Attempt at a Solution

Am i using the right equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think so...also you will need the relationship between the tension in the string and the frequency of vibration

how would I do that because
the question is asking me beats per sec
how would i get ther relationship between the tension and the frequency

That equation is indeed helpful for solving this problem. You'll need to figure out the second frequency however.

physics10189 said:
how would I do that because
the question is asking me beats per sec
how would i get ther relationship between the tension and the frequency
What equation does your textbook have that involves the string tension?

Tension=(velocity^2)*((mass)/(length))

which i have neither of the length of the string nor the mass of it.

That's okay, since the mass and length do not change for the string they are not needed.

You can use that equation to figure out by what factor the velocity (and therefore the frequency) changes when the tension changes by a factor of 516/645

1. What is the beat frequency of a keyboard?

The beat frequency of a keyboard is the difference in frequency between two keys that are played simultaneously. It is caused by the interference of two sound waves with slightly different frequencies.

2. How is the beat frequency of a keyboard calculated?

The beat frequency of a keyboard can be calculated by subtracting the frequency of the lower note from the frequency of the higher note. For example, if one key has a frequency of 440 Hz and another key has a frequency of 444 Hz, the beat frequency would be 4 Hz.

3. What factors affect the beat frequency of a keyboard?

The beat frequency of a keyboard can be affected by the difference in frequency between the two keys, the intensity of the sound, and the distance between the two keys. It can also be influenced by the quality and design of the keyboard itself.

4. Does the beat frequency of a keyboard produce a noticeable sound?

Yes, the beat frequency of a keyboard can produce a sound that is often described as a "wobbling" or "pulsing" effect. The perceived loudness of the beat frequency will depend on the intensity and difference in frequency between the two keys.

5. Can the beat frequency of a keyboard be used for musical purposes?

Yes, the beat frequency of a keyboard can be used for musical purposes, particularly in creating harmony and dissonance in music. It can also be used in tuning instruments and for training the ear to identify different pitches and intervals.