What are the possible lengths of organ pipes based on beat frequency?

In summary, the conversation is about a friend challenging the listener to calculate the length of an organ pipe that is open at both ends, given that the length of the other pipe is 1.10 m. The challenge involves determining the beat frequency caused by the second-lowest frequency of each pipe, which is equal to the beat frequency caused by the ninth-lowest frequency of each pipe. The possible solutions include using the formula fbeat = f1 - f2 and finding the frequencies of the resonances in both types of pipes. The listener is also advised to use the equation v = lambda * f to calculate the frequencies.
FishieKissie06
A friend in another city tells you that she has a pair of organ pipes, one open at both ends, the other open at one end only. In addition, she has determined that the beat frequency caused by the second-lowest frequency of each pipe is equal to the beat frequency caused by the ninth-lowest frequency of each pipe. Her challenge to you is to calculate the length of the organ pipe that is open at both ends, given that the length of the other pipe is 1.10 m. Note that there are two possible answers to this question. List them both, in the order indicated below.

so in other words fbeat = f1 - f2 where... fbeat 2= fbeat 9... where 2f1 - 2f2 = 9f1 - 9f2 ... and i know the length of the closed end pipe which is 1.10 how am i suppose to consider even solving this or where I can get the frequency of a closed end pipe at n=2...

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the wavelengths that resonate in the two types of pipes ...
the calculate the frequencies that these resonances have.

One will be the odd numbers times the fundamental, the other will be the integers times the fundamental (all the even quarter-waves "fit")

So the second-lowest frequencies are 2*f_open and 3*f_closed .
These beat the same as 9*f_open and 17*f_closed .
Re-write this to get f_closed in terms of f_open ,
which you can compute since v = 340 m/s = lambda * f .

ok well I am looking at this problem and i see confused... and I am trying to work it out myself... so what you are saying is that... 2f_open and 1.5f_open beat the same as 9f_open and 8.5f_open?

What is the beat frequency of organ pipes?

The beat frequency of organ pipes is the difference in frequency between two pipes that are played simultaneously.

How is the beat frequency of organ pipes calculated?

The beat frequency can be calculated by subtracting the frequency of the lower pipe from the frequency of the higher pipe.

What factors affect the beat frequency of organ pipes?

The beat frequency can be affected by the length, diameter, and material of the pipes, as well as the air temperature and pressure.

Why is the beat frequency important in organ pipes?

The beat frequency is important because it creates a unique sound and adds depth to the music when multiple pipes are played together.

Can the beat frequency of organ pipes be changed?

Yes, the beat frequency can be changed by altering the length, diameter, or material of the pipes, or by adjusting the air temperature and pressure.