1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beat Frequency Questions

1. May 13, 2006 #1
    I need help with a couple of problems:

A tuning fork of uknown frequency is sounded together with another tuning fork of 630 Hz. Seven beats are noted when a weight is put on the uknown tuning fork. The beat frequency is noted to increase. What is the original frequency?

A cottager lying on a beach notes that in a span of 12 minutes, 57 waves crash onto the beach. She also notes that as one crest is crashing on the beach another crest is passing a boat 10m away. If there are five more crests between the two noted crests, calculate the period, wavelength, and speed of the wave.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So what are the two possible frequencies of the unknown tuning fork? If you put a weight on the end of the tuning fork does the frequency go up or down? That will tell you which of the two possible frequencies is the correct one.

What is the period or 1/f of the wave? How many wavelengths are there in the 10 m. distance? What is the wavelength. What is the relationship between [itex]v, f and \lambda[/itex]?

AM

4. May 14, 2006 #3
    I think first you need to sort out your punctuations.The question should have read:
    A tuning fork of unknown frequency is sounded together with another tuning fork of 630 Hz. Seven beats are noted .When a weight is put on the uknown tuning fork, the beat frequency is noted to increase. What is the original frequency?

Try to use Andrew's hints.

5. May 14, 2006 #4
    lol I just typed out the same problem that the teacher gave me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?