Solving Beat Frequency Woes: Physics Exam Prep

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with a physics review question on beat frequency and calculating the original frequency of a violin string. The student attempts to use the formula for beat frequency and considers the relationship between tightening the string and producing a higher pitch. They also mention the use of beat frequency in tuning instruments and the intuitive understanding of it among musicians.
Batmaniac
So I'm studying for my Physics exam tommorow and the damned Sound unit seems to always give me problems. Anyway I'm doing a review question relating to Beat Frequency and I just can't seem to figure out what to do. Here is the question and my sad attempt at it.

When a violin string is sounded together with a pitch pipe having a frequency of 256 Hz, 21 beats are heard in 3.00s. If the string is tightend, the beat frequency increases (not sure why this sentence is here or it's purpose). What is the original frequency of the violin string?

Well the first thing I did was calculate the Beat Frequency using the formula:

Beat Frequency = # of beats / time
Fb = 21 / 3s
Fb = 7Hz

I then proceeded to frequency of the violin string by doing this:

Frequency of violin = Frequency of pitch pipe +/- Fb
Fv = 256 Hz +/- 7Hz
Fv = 263 Hz or 249 Hz

To my knowledge those are the possible frequencies of the violin, but it's asking for the original frequency and I have no clue what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The sentence you noted provides what you need to select between the two possible values of Fv.

If you tighten the violin string, its pitch goes up. If the beat frequency increases, then it's becoming more out of tune. If you tighten the string and it becomes more out of tune, then it was producing too high a pitch to begin with.

- Warren

chroot said:
If you tighten the violin string, its pitch goes up. If the beat frequency increases, then it's becoming more out of tune. If you tighten the string and it becomes more out of tune, then it was producing too high a pitch to begin with.

- Warren

Good intuitive reasoning! I wonder did you play an instrument?
I play the guitar and mandolin and use this very relationship when tuning a string relative to a fork or to another string. I don't know many musicians who make use of this beating phenomena.

I don't know many musicians who make use of this beating phenomena.

They do! :)

Tide said:
They do! :)
LOL... They should, its not that hard.. Unfortunately many musicians rely either directly on their ear or use an electronic tuner. Of course to someone who understands physics, using frequency beating is obvious :smile:

I do play a couple of instruments. Every musician I've ever known has has an intuitive grasp of beat frequencies -- if you adjust your instrument and the beats get faster, you're getting more out of tune. To be in tune, you adjust the instrument until the period of beats is "infinite," or, at least, so long that it's no longer noticeable.

- Warren

1. What is the beat frequency method and how does it work?

The beat frequency method is a technique used to determine the difference in frequency between two sound waves. This is done by creating a third wave through the interference of the two original waves. The frequency of the third wave, known as the beat frequency, is equal to the difference between the two original frequencies.

2. Why is the beat frequency method important in physics?

The beat frequency method is important in physics because it allows for the precise measurement of frequency differences. This is crucial in many areas of physics, such as in the study of sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and even atomic and subatomic particles. It also has practical applications in fields such as music, telecommunications, and medical imaging.

3. How is the beat frequency calculated?

The beat frequency is calculated by subtracting the lower frequency from the higher frequency. For example, if two sound waves have frequencies of 400 Hz and 410 Hz, the beat frequency would be 410 Hz - 400 Hz = 10 Hz.

4. Can the beat frequency method be applied to any type of wave?

Yes, the beat frequency method can be applied to any type of wave, whether it is a sound wave, light wave, or electromagnetic wave. As long as there are two waves with different frequencies interfering with each other, the beat frequency can be calculated.

5. What are some common challenges when using the beat frequency method?

One common challenge when using the beat frequency method is ensuring that the two waves are perfectly synchronized and have a constant frequency. Any changes in the frequency or phase of the waves can affect the accuracy of the measurement. Additionally, background noise and other interfering waves can also make it difficult to obtain an accurate beat frequency.