Beat Frequency of tuning forks

In summary, the beat frequency is the difference between the two fork frequencies and the frequency of the second fork could be either 276Hz or 270Hz, but there is not enough information given to determine the exact frequency. The options provided for the answer were not conclusive, and it is not a valid method to choose an answer based on what is given in the options. The correct answer is F: not enough information given.
contrivance

Homework Statement

Two tuning forks, first fork has freqency of f = 273Hz. The beat frequency is 3.00Hz. What is the frequency of the second fork?

Homework Equations

[tex]f_{beat} = |f_1 - f_2|[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This was a question on my Physics I exam today, and my prof is known for having 'tricky' conceptual questions on his exams.

This concept is pretty simple, if you have two different frequencies, the Beat frequency is the difference between the two. So for this problem, the second fork could either be 276Hz or 270Hz.

Although that is true, (i don't think) enough information was given to actually be able to know the answer.

A few of the choices from the question were:

A) 270Hz
B-E) a bunch of other frequencies, and none were 276Hz
F) "Not enough information given"

I picked F). Although, my classmates picked 270Hz for the reason that "It was a choice, and 276Hz wasn't".
I don't believe that's a valid way to go about finding the solution, so I think they're wrong.

However, It will be (about a week) before I could get the results/answers for this exam so I'm asking here to see what everyone else thinks?

Physics news on Phys.org
F: not enough information given. The other frequency may be or may not be 270 Hz, and you cannot decide.

ehild

Likes 1 person

1. What is the beat frequency of tuning forks?

The beat frequency of tuning forks refers to the frequency of the sound produced when two tuning forks of slightly different frequencies are struck simultaneously. It is the difference between the two frequencies and is measured in Hertz (Hz).

2. How is the beat frequency of tuning forks calculated?

The beat frequency is calculated by subtracting the frequency of one tuning fork from the frequency of the other. For example, if one fork has a frequency of 200 Hz and the other has a frequency of 205 Hz, the beat frequency would be 5 Hz.

3. What causes the beat frequency of tuning forks?

The beat frequency occurs because of the interference of sound waves produced by the two tuning forks. When the two frequencies are close, the waves will periodically reinforce and cancel each other out, resulting in the beat frequency sound.

4. How can the beat frequency of tuning forks be used in experiments?

The beat frequency can be used to tune musical instruments or to determine the frequency of an unknown tuning fork. It can also be used in physics experiments to study the properties of sound waves and interference.

5. Can the beat frequency of tuning forks be changed?

Yes, the beat frequency can be changed by adjusting the frequencies of the two tuning forks. The closer the frequencies are, the higher the beat frequency will be. Additionally, the intensity of the beat frequency sound can be changed by altering the volume or force with which the tuning forks are struck.