What is the relationship between beat period and cosine cycles in a graph?

In summary: If you plot the graphs at different points in time, at 0.5 time, they will be in phase and at 2 time, they will be out of phase.
somecelxis

Homework Statement

please refer to the notes , since we know that a cycle of cosine is as in the photo 1 , why the beat period has 8 complete cycle of cosine?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,129
  • IMG_20140729_083127[1].jpg
    IMG_20140729_083127[1].jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 2,162
Physics news on Phys.org
This is talking about beating (mixing) two slightly different frequencies/wavelengths together.

If both start off in sync at t=0 they will become out of sync and then back into sync. The time it takes to "come back into sync" depends on the difference between the two. The closer they are to being identical the longer and more cycles it takes. In this case it takes 8 cycles.

As an exercise try plotting two sine waves on graph paper with slightly different frequencies. Then add a third waveform representing the sum of the amplitudes of the other two. You might learn more doing it by hand but you can also do it in excel.

why The closer they are to being identical the longer and more cycles it takes. In this case it takes 8 cycles.
? can you please explain further?

somecelxis said:
why The closer they are to being identical the longer and more cycles it takes. In this case it takes 8 cycles.
? can you please explain further?
Pick a point where the sum has maximum magnitude. Here the two sources are 'in phase'. Go along to the next cycle of one of them. The two are now slightly out of phase. Each additional cycle you move along, the phase difference increases. The closer the two sources are in frequency, the smaller the phase shift each cycle, so the more cycles you have to go through for the phase difference to reach 2π (or thereabouts). When the phase shift reaches that value, the two are in phase again. That completes one beat.

haruspex said:
Pick a point where the sum has maximum magnitude. Here the two sources are 'in phase'. Go along to the next cycle of one of them. The two are now slightly out of phase. Each additional cycle you move along, the phase difference increases. The closer the two sources are in frequency, the smaller the phase shift each cycle, so the more cycles you have to go through for the phase difference to reach 2π (or thereabouts). When the phase shift reaches that value, the two are in phase again. That completes one beat.

what do you mean by The two are now slightly out of phase. Each additional cycle you move along, the phase difference increases. The closer the two sources are in frequency, the smaller the phase shift each cycle,

do you mean pick 2 points on the graph of resultant displacement? how can two of them are sligtly out of phase?

Attachments

• img44.png
    img44.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 793
There are 3 waveforms under consideration here. There is one sinewave of frequency f1, and another almost identical but having a slightly different frequency, f2. Then there is the sum of these.

You have been advised to sketch the f1 and f2 sinusoids to illustrate how they can go from being in sync at zero phase to some time later being in sync at zero phase again. It seems you have not yet tried this?

Last edited:
somecelxis said:
what do you mean by The two are now slightly out of phase. Each additional cycle you move along, the phase difference increases. The closer the two sources are in frequency, the smaller the phase shift each cycle,

do you mean pick 2 points on the graph of resultant displacement? how can two of them are sligtly out of phase?

No, I wrote
Go along to the next cycle of one of [the two sources]
In your diagram, the two sources are not shown.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
No, I wrote

In your diagram, the two sources are not shown.

i think i got what do you mean . based on the diagram , can i say that at 0.5T , the both grpah with f1 and f2 in phase again? whereas at T , both the graph is out of phase again? (180 degree difference)

somecelxis said:
i think i got what do you mean . based on the diagram , can i say that at 0.5T , the both grpah with f1 and f2 in phase again? whereas at T , both the graph is out of phase again? (180 degree difference)

Yes.

1. What is beat period?

The beat period is the time it takes for two waves with slightly different frequencies to produce a pattern of constructive and destructive interference. This phenomenon is known as a beat.

2. How is beat period calculated?

The beat period is calculated by taking the reciprocal of the difference between the two frequencies of the waves. In other words, it can be calculated as 1/Δf, where Δf is the difference between the two frequencies.

3. What is beat frequency?

Beat frequency is the number of beats produced per second when two waves with slightly different frequencies interfere with each other. It is measured in Hertz (Hz).

4. How is beat frequency related to beat period?

Beat frequency and beat period are inversely related. This means that as the beat frequency increases, the beat period decreases, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-world examples of beat period and beat frequency?

A common example of beat period and beat frequency is the sound produced when tuning two musical instruments to the same note. Another example is the interference of radio waves with different frequencies, which can cause static or distortion in the signal.