Beauty of old electrical and measuring things, etc.

In summary, the conversation revolved around an individual's passion for collecting and restoring old devices, particularly electrical components from the early 1900s. They shared photos of their collection, which included vintage bulbs, switches, and transformers, and discussed the craftsmanship and attention to detail of these items. The conversation also touched on the nostalgia and sentimental value of preserving and working with old technology. The individual credited their interest in old devices to a scrap collector who allowed them to explore his collection as a child.
Motor turned up in my LinkedIn feed

77yE41y87UNCVordEGXyD3u0qYrdfyLrLJSMfLuluVhFcSUclAZke_KhFTCwD5u8LojtdNQg2JXlJ427dA4BYBI3iSdF_NQ8.jpg

Crypto Works Co Ltd of London. Machine no 5568, 65 volt, 4.5 amps, 2200 rpm. I (the Linked in OP) believe this motor was made between 1904 and when the company went out of production in 1909.

Attachments

• 77yE41y87UNCVordEGXyD3u0qYrdfyLrLJSMfLuluVhFcSUclAZke_KhFTCwD5u8LojtdNQg2JXlJ427dA4BYBI3iSdF_NQ8.jpg
    77yE41y87UNCVordEGXyD3u0qYrdfyLrLJSMfLuluVhFcSUclAZke_KhFTCwD5u8LojtdNQg2JXlJ427dA4BYBI3iSdF_NQ8.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 398
Likes jim hardy, 256bits, dlgoff and 2 others
Engineering news on Phys.org
Windadct said:
Machine no 5568, 65 volt, 4.5 amps, 2200 rpm.
Now that's a motor. I wonder if it could be made to run again? Here's a "ad" I found from https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/:

Crypto motor.jpg

Thanks for sharing @Windadct .

Attachments

• Crypto motor.jpg
    Crypto motor.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 444
Likes collinsmark and jim hardy
dont you just love the old machines - you can actually see how the field flux flows around that one !

Likes dlgoff
You should make a gravity fed mercury vacuum pump, I forget who invented it, I think it was Edison but I don't remember. If you want to make it go here . That guy is named cody he has a youtube channel called codys lab and he usually does diy stuff and general education things on his channel. The pump is called a Sprengel Vacuum pump and I think it is really cool. You should modify the design so that the mercury pours itself to make the vacuum. Also do you guys know if you could use a safer material for it?

Likes collinsmark
stephenkohnle53 said:
You should make a gravity fed mercury vacuum pump, ...

A better option than the Sprengel pump is the diffusion pump.

from https://www.tungsten.com/tips/diffusion-pumps/
In the early days, diffusion pumps used mercury as the operating fluid. As you might imagine, such a thing would be frowned upon today due to the toxicity of mercury vapors. Today, the use of mercury in diffusion pumps is essentially zero.

stephenkohnle53 said:
I forget who invented it, ...

Hermann Sprengel is credited for inventing the Sprengel pump.

Wolfgang Max Paul Gaede is credited for inventing the mercury diffusion pump in 1913.

stephenkohnle53 said:
... do you guys know if you could use a safer material ...

Silicon oil is used today in diffusion pumps. See https://www.tungsten.com/tips/diffusion-pumps/ for how they work.

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
*speechless*

Likes dlgoff and OmCheeto
DrClaude said:
*speechless*

After two hours of googling, I would recommend reading this persons comment from below the video, before doing the same:

Jayyy Zeee
I have a degree in computer science and electrical engineering, have been working professionally in the field for over 20 years, and I have no clue how that coil stores bits.

also speechless

Likes Windadct
I would assume it 'stores bits' the same way a shift register who's output feeds its input. There are roulette games based on this. A shift register is loaded with a single bit set to one out of however many wide the register is. For the sake of discussion let's say 24 bits wide. There is an oscillator that runs to shift this single bit around and around. The oscillator is set so it's frequency decays off and it simply stops. Where this single bit that is loaded with a one stops may or may not be where the player guessed it would be.
=
It is the same with this coil except it is mechanical. There is no need for a clock oscillator to keep the 'bits' moving as this is just a natural property of the coil. I will say it is hard to believe they could get that to work, but it is plausible. I wonder how long was needed to store what they needed to store? How many times around?
-
This may be nitpicking, but can this thing truly be called 100% electronic considering the coil is technically mechanical? At any rate, someone must have had a bad dream to think that thing up. LOL

Averagesupernova said:
This may be nitpicking, but can this thing truly be called 100% electronic considering the coil is technically mechanical?
hmmm...
per wiki; "As of February 2016, 97% of all articles in Wikipedia eventually lead to the article Philosophy."

:nb)

Likes Averagesupernova
OmCheeto said:
After two hours of googling, I would recommend reading this persons comment from below the video, before doing the same:

Jayyy Zeee
I have a degree in computer science and electrical engineering, have been working professionally in the field for over 20 years, and I have no clue how that coil stores bits.

Google ' acoustic delay line memory ' .

There is a mercury column version as well

OmCheeto said:
My brain almost exploded...
OmCheeto said:
Are you trying to kill me?

Only out of scientific curiosity . Did you record the maximum pressure reached ?

Nidum said:
Only out of scientific curiosity . Did you record the maximum pressure reached ?
No.
But it would have been irrelevant, IMHO, if I had.

ps. Let's get back onto the... oh, poop: Old... Things.

Nidum said:
Did you record the maximum pressure reached ?
Gauge or absolute... ?

I ask...
Nidum said:
Only out of scientific curiosity .

There is nothing new about acoustic delay line memories. Don't forget that the integral clock and data pulse timing must be continuously received, restored and retransmitted.

One advantage of delay line memory is that the ALU need only be a one bit serial processor. Another is that CORDIC can be applied to compute the arithmetic +, −, ×, ÷ and √ using shift registers and two serial adders alone. Later, with the addition of diode array lookup tables, all the transcendental functions could be implemented.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CORDIC

RPN and CORDIC went on to be used in the HP calculator range.
CORDIC was implemented in all the intel 80x87 FPU coprocessors.

Likes jim hardy and dlgoff
DrClaude said:
*speechless*
Me too.
What I liked most about the video was at time 7:26 when Cliff said, "Why do I work on this? It's partly out of respect of those who came before me." Reminds me of this quote from a PF member: " ... Restoring some fine machine is honoring somebody's hard work." @Jim Hardy
OmCheeto said:
Your effort is appreciated.

Baluncore said:
One advantage of delay line memory is that the ALU need only be a one bit serial processor. Another is that CORDIC can be applied to compute the arithmetic +, −, ×, ÷ and √ using shift registers and two serial adders alone. Later, with the addition of diode array lookup tables, all the transcendental functions could be implemented.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CORDIC

RPN and CORDIC went on to be used in the HP calculator range.
CORDIC was implemented in all the intel 80x87 FPU coprocessors.
From piano wire to silicon processors. Who would have thought ...? Thanks.

Likes jim hardy, OmCheeto and DrClaude
Best thread on the entire Internet... I am fascinated by the development of electro magnetic technology through time, and love old electrical and computer equipment. Once, I was puttering around in northern Vermont near the Canadian border, and a couple had a garage sale out. It was her late father's stuff, a former electrical engineer. It was half a dozen shelves crammed with meters, gauges, scopes, TRS-80s, Lisa's, Apple IIs, Commodore 128s, amplifiers, tools, etc.

I had to leave quick, I could feel my wallet squirming to get out of my pocket... Viewing this thread is much safer.

Likes dlgoff
20171026_124112_001.jpg
Here is a very old relay from a Grinder built around about WWII, using the once popular technique of mercury switching, note the wires are insulated with insulating porcelain beads.

Attachments

• 20171026_124112_001.jpg
    20171026_124112_001.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
An old abandoned lift control room.
Lift controls.jpg
Lift motor.jpg

Attachments

• Lift controls.jpg
    Lift controls.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 562
  • Lift motor.jpg
    Lift motor.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 546
Likes dlgoff, jim hardy and Nidum
darkwood said:
An old abandoned lift control room.
Nice. Can you say where it's located?

darkwood said:
... note the wires are insulated with insulating porcelain beads.
And note the spare lamp. Good stuff.

@dlgoff
Yes its in what used to be an old textile mill in West Yorkshire UK which it would have been operating a lift between 2 floors only.

Edit ...
Yes! I forgot to say ignore the spare lamp, there are actually 2 mercury bulbs one behind the other, the beads were used because of the flexing the conductor would go through and the insulation materials of the day wouldn't have held up to the repeated movement.

Likes dlgoff
I've had this air pressure regulator of a while and don't know a lot about it. It looks like it dates back to the 1920's. Check out the Bakelite knobs.

from https://lib.bgsu.edu/finding_aids/items/show/149
By 1926 the company name changed to The DeVilbiss Company as their product lines continued to expand to include air compressors.

regulator_1.jpg

regulator_2.jpg

Attachments

• regulator_1.jpg
    regulator_1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 541
  • regulator_2.jpg
    regulator_2.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 529
Likes jim hardy and Averagesupernova
Sometimes a little new can help the old. Like this vacuum angle valve I've added to my vacuum system. I have two Edwards E2M8 rotary pumps and with the valve, I can use the second Edwards to get a quicker pump down so I can turn on the diffusion pump sooner.

Here are the Edwards pumps:
Edwards.jpg

Here are two views of the angle valve:
anglevalve_1.jpg

anglevalve_2.jpg

Adds a little beauty doesn't it?

Attachments

• anglevalve_1.jpg
    anglevalve_1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 526
  • anglevalve_2.jpg
    anglevalve_2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 517
  • Edwards.jpg
    Edwards.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 442
Likes OmCheeto and jim hardy

Likes dlgoff, OmCheeto and Borg
DrClaude said:

How do people come up with some of these techniques? e.g. the motor control mechanisms.

Love it.

dlgoff said:
How do people come up with some of these techniques?
I think that's what makes some of these devices so beautiful: the ingenuity that went into solving some problems.

Like the calculator memory in my post #251.

DrClaude said:
I think that's what makes some of these devices so beautiful: the ingenuity that went into solving some problems.
Oh yea. I agree. And that is so amazing.

I'll be posting some pictures later of an old Universal Radio I'm in the process of restoring but now I'm working late depositing copper onto glass and took a few pictures.
Up on post 269 I added a New part to the vacuum system. Since my house electrical circuit that powers the pumps (three of them) can't handle the surge on power up, I had to add a couple more New parts; time delay relays.

The vacuum deposition system:
vacuumdeposition.jpg

The time delay relays:
timedelayrelays.jpg

Copper being deposited on glass slide slip covers:
copperdeposition.jpg

Attachments

• vacuumdeposition.jpg
    vacuumdeposition.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 420
  • timedelayrelays.jpg
    timedelayrelays.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 419
  • copperdeposition.jpg
    copperdeposition.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 402
Likes OmCheeto, jim hardy, DrClaude and 1 other person
dlgoff said:
I consider first hand information like this to be like peer review information. I'm going to change it to the 5U4. Thank you. :)

Here's a future beauty I'll be working on but it's what's on top that's very special to me.

View attachment 175212
View attachment 175213
View attachment 175214

It was a gift from a good friend and I used it to look up the base diagrams for the tubes in order to verify they were indeed interchangeable. ;)
When I was 13 y.o. a neighbor gave me a copy of that book. I devoured it. I built a one tube (6J6 I believe) 10 watt 40m cw transmitter from its pages. It started a fire in my belly to learn electronics and mathematics not to mention the indescribable thrill of transmitting "cq cq cq de wb6pnm" and getting a response from a station over 1000 miles away with equipment I had built with my own hands. I wanted to know how my antenna radiated radio waves and I wanted to know how the ionosphere worked. I had thousands of questions. My father (a physicist) said; "You will only get the answers if you go to university and learn experimental physics". So I did. Sadly, young people today do not have this experience.
Thank you so much for posting these photographs. I was flooded with happy memories.

Peace
Fred

Likes collinsmark
Fred Wright said:
Sadly, young people today do not have this experience.
Thank you so much for posting these photographs. I was flooded with happy memories.
I'm so happy that you see the value of this thread and that it has brought you happiness too. Thank You.

I have several rather old microscopes, two of them shown in the photo:
IMG_7152.JPG

And then I got this multimeter from a friend who was having a garage sale and was selling it for $1. He wanted to just give it to me when I told him that I wanted it, but I forced him to take the $1. :)

IMG_7151.JPG

The wooden case by itself is fascinating. And yes, it still works.

Zz.

Attachments

• IMG_7151.JPG
    IMG_7151.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_7152.JPG
    IMG_7152.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 404
Likes collinsmark, dlgoff and Greg Bernhardt
ZapperZ said:
The wooden case by itself is fascinating.
Indeed. That and the manual. Thanks for sharing @ZapperZ.