Beauty of old electrical and measuring things, etc.

In summary, the conversation revolved around an individual's passion for collecting and restoring old devices, particularly electrical components from the early 1900s. They shared photos of their collection, which included vintage bulbs, switches, and transformers, and discussed the craftsmanship and attention to detail of these items. The conversation also touched on the nostalgia and sentimental value of preserving and working with old technology. The individual credited their interest in old devices to a scrap collector who allowed them to explore his collection as a child.
Bystander said:
How old? The He diffuses through the glass that quickly that He-Ne's have to be "stale-dated?" Was aware of the "problem," but not that it was that significant.
Paraphrasing from my father's college textbooks circa 1940's "The Helium molecule is small and agile and readily migrates through most materials requiring regular replenishment.", or words to that effect. I forget the application but reasonably sure the authors meant glass.

Likes dlgoff
Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's an old telephone ringer with the label "The United Telephone Co." I've done some internet searching to get some history on the company, etc, but got just a few hits which give conflicting information. It could be just a small Kansas company but the thing is fairly old. Note the installation label date on the door's inside; wired April 23, 1921 and inspected June 13, 1921.

UTphone_1.jpg

UTphone_2.jpg

UTphone_3.jpg

Likes collinsmark
Don, I remember reading that Sci Am article! I was a little young at the time, but I later traded a set of gigantic Nixie tubes for a ruby rod and some flash lamps and assembled a pulsed laser during college. I couldn’t afford proper low-ESR photoflash capacitors so I used a bank of electrolytics, with the result that the pump light was lazy. It exceeded the lasing threshold but I wasn’t about to burn holes through anything. Had a good time and learned a lot!
E5E4264B-CA8A-4EA5-A77F-391CF8159BF8.jpeg
87DF7250-4C33-4BAF-B617-BD9A95410F20.jpeg

• Love
Likes dlgoff and collinsmark
marcusl said:
traded a set of gigantic Nixie tubes for a ruby rod and some flash lamps
Very cool @marcusl. I'd love to own a ruby rod. Very beautiful.

I kept it around for decades but couldn’t interest my sons or their friends. I finally advertised it at work on the little employee “Green Sheet” last year and sold it to a laser enthusiast for cheap together with a big Neodymium-glass rod that I never did anything with.

Likes dlgoff
marcusl said:
sold it to a laser enthusiast
:approve:

dlgoff said:
No. Not enough He.

edit: However, the same tube type in this laser does work.

View attachment 249761
What good is a laser without demonstrating single slit diffraction? So I went to ebay and bought this (pics from ebay) Gaertner Scientific Adjustable Optical Slit on a Newport (NRC) optical breadboard mount (Newport B-2 base and VPH-4 mount):
optical slit 1.jpg

optical slit 2.jpg

After cleaning it up and polishinng & realigning the slit edges, I made a receiving screen and made some interference patterns.

diffraction screen.jpg

diffraction pattern.gif

Now IMO, that's beauty.

Likes davenn, zoki85, Klystron and 4 others
I don't know whether my stuffs are considered old, I am cheap, other than I paid top $$ for my soldering irons, my scope, pulse gen, signal gen etc. are all old stuffs. My scope is an old Tektronixs 2465A 350MHz analog scope I bought for $400, my Pulse gen is HP old one that is at least 30 years old and I use an old Wavetech signal generator. All bought cheap.

There's nothing wrong with using old test equipment as long as it can do the job. I worked for a company that we always run on a shoe string budget ( and proud of it). They don't even have better equipment than me at home! We got the job done gloriously, went through IPO and all.

• Love
Likes Klystron and dlgoff
yungman said:
My scope is an old Tektronixs 2465A 350MHz analog scope I bought for $400, my Pulse gen is HP old one that is at least 30 years old and I use an old Wavetech signal generator.
Sounds old enough to be worthy of some photographs. Hint, Hint :oldshy:

yungman said:
There's nothing wrong with using old test equipment as long as it can do the job. ... We got the job done gloriously, went through IPO and all.
Well there you go. Proof positive.

As a result of this not keeping my electrodes cool enough, I bought this early model Neslab Instruments refrigerated circulating bath.

Neslab 9B.jpg

A useful beauty indeed.

• Informative
Likes davenn, Klystron, jedishrfu and 1 other person
I've been mostly absent from PF rebuilding a Maytag, Inc. (originally, The Maytag Washing Machine Company) two cylinder model 72 Hit-and-miss engine. It had been out-doors and full of rain water. But after two cans of WD-40 penetrating oil and two bottles of Naval Jelly rust dissolver, I was able to take the thing apart, clean, and paint. I purchased a gasket set, a piston ring set, and a muffler then reassembled. Here are some pictures of the finished project.

front.jpg

back.jpg

top.jpg

And since this is the Electrical Engineering forum, a look inside the magneto (flywheel with magnets removed).

magneto.jpg

As soon as the weather is better, I'm taking the engine outside and starting it; hopefully.

Likes NTL2009, DrClaude, berkeman and 5 others
Wow, that looks like a beautiful restoration. Recently I found the Youtube channel called My Mechanics from Switzerland. He makes restoration project videos. He does beautiful work and that looks like a great hobby. It is certainly relaxing to watch the videos.

• Love
Likes dlgoff
After posting a reply to @Evo 's comment in the COVID-19 Coronavirus Containment Efforts thread:
Evo said:
Today I went to the store and there were NO EGGS! NONE! Who hordes eggs?
got me thinking of the time needed to grade a gross of eggs with this Mascot Egg Grading Scale "balance":

IMG_3215.JPG

I haven't researched much about it's history and I won't be trying to restore it, but here's a .gif showing how it works:

Mascot Egg Grading.gif

I am surprised that the grading scale appears to be a metal photo.

Likes Greg Bernhardt, gmax137, DrClaude and 5 others
Here are a couple oilers manufactured by Lube Devices in Manitowoc, Wisconsin (@Greg Bernhardt 's alma mater state).

oilers.jpg

oiler-1.jpg

oiler-2.jpg

Likes davenn and Greg Bernhardt
dlgoff said:
I've been mostly absent from PF rebuilding a Maytag, Inc. (originally, The Maytag Washing Machine Company) two cylinder model 72 Hit-and-miss engine. It had been out-doors and full of rain water. But after two cans of WD-40 penetrating oil and two bottles of Naval Jelly rust dissolver, I was able to take the thing apart, clean, and paint. I purchased a gasket set, a piston ring set, and a muffler then reassembled. Here are some pictures of the finished project.

As soon as the weather is better, I'm taking the engine outside and starting it; hopefully.
Wow! I was unaware there were gas engine powered washing machines, and surprised that Maytag made their own engines. According to this source, it was 5/8 HP, and I saw a link to a back-pack mount, apparently for the Military (probably used it to recharge batteries for radios?).

Had a chance to start it?

I had a chance to chat with a guy displaying his antique hit-miss engine at a farm show a few years back. I'd seen these demonstrated before, and I always figured they just ran really poorly :). The guy explained how the governor would just keep the valve (exhaust I think) closed (open?) when it hit top speed. So with no load it only had to hit once or twice in about every 5 or 6 cycles to maintain speed, so it sounded something like "rump-rump-whoosh-whoosh-whoosh-whoosh-whoosh-rump-whoosh-whoosh-whoosh-rump". Then he loaded it down for me so I could hear it fire every cycle. Pretty cool!

It's been a while since posting anything that measures but while playing around with a blue LED and a ultrasonic humidifier I came up with this video (blur fire) honoring Shuji Nakamura, Isamu Akasaki, and Hiroshi Amano for their invention that won them the 2014 Nobel Prize for physics.

blur fire.gif

Likes NTL2009, berkeman and DrClaude
@dlgoff 's post reminded me of some pictures I took in an antique shop a while back. They had some old equipment that had been converted into lamps:
oldelec1.jpg

oldelec2.jpg

oldelec3.jpg

oldelec4.jpg

• Love
Likes dlgoff and anorlunda
dlgoff said:
Curious; where was the antique shop?
McMinnville, OR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dlgoff
I came across this RCA scanner radio. I had no idea RCA made a scanner:

small IMG_3341.gif

small IMG_3344.gif

Likes Averagesupernova
Any idea what channels it's set up to scan? Does it have one crystal per channel?

https://www.fixya.com/support/t17772452-user_manual_rca_model_no_16s400
-
According to this link it is one crystal per channel. I have an old Heathkit crystal controlled two meter transceiver but somehow it never occurred to me that early scanners would have had to have been the same.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Any idea what channels it's set up to scan? Does it have one crystal per channel?
I haven't opened it to check what frequencies the crystals are, but @Averagesupernova did the research, thanks @Averagesupernova. Unfortunately I get a error 1020 while trying to go to the site. What I find interesting is that it has two antenna jack connectors; one for UHF and one for VHF. I've been hunting for a couple old auto antennas that should work by adjusting their lengths.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
here is what's printed on the crystals:
1) 460.250
2) 460.350
3) 460.400
4) 460.475
5) 39.5800
6) 44.8200
7) 44.980
8) 154.430
9) 154.680
10) 162.475

I'm assuming 1-4 are kHz and 5-10 are MHz? What do you think?

Last edited:
They are all MHz.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff and berkeman
Here's some other non-electrical beauties. Some really old Hot Wheels die-cast toys that's been waiting to be displayed.
smallIMG_3384-2.jpg

I'm working on a couple electrical beauties coming up next.

I thought this scanner was so neat that I decided to purchase another one; this one with it's antennas.
PF RCA-1-rot.jpg

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu
With the recent ice storm in Texas I started thinking about how reliant we are on cell phone tech over the good old radio transceiver tech.

Especially when the 4 min 37 secs story broke, generators fail, cell towers go dead and battery operated radios are still in play but are they still in use in the field with electrical crews?

Thanks for sharing this.

Likes dlgoff
jedishrfu said:
battery operated radios are still in play ...
In this case, this is one is powered by 115VAC.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
Hi-tech instrument design circa 1960's.

20210207_155201.jpg

• Love
Likes Klystron and dlgoff
DaveE said:

View attachment 278690
I plugged the HP part number on the PCB into an internet search. The closest match seems to be an HP (Agilent) printed circuit assembly used in a spectrum analyzer. Is that a zero insertion force (ZIF) connector on the bottom?
https://www.armyproperty.com/product/1LQK8/03593-66504/

Klystron said:
I plugged the HP part number on the PCB into an internet search. The closest match seems to be an HP (Agilent) printed circuit assembly used in a spectrum analyzer. Is that a zero insertion force (ZIF) connector on the bottom?
https://www.armyproperty.com/product/1LQK8/03593-66504/
Sorry, I don't remember exactly where it came from. Some old piece of equipment I tore down for the mechanical parts. Probably from an HP3590A Wave Analyzer.

Not ZIF, just an edge connector, like Douglas et. al.

Likes Klystron
DaveE said:
The PCB was built rugged, for military use, probably in the 1970s.
The “modern” Texas Instruments IC has a military JAN part number, 4 digit manufacturer code followed by 4 digit part number, so it was available second sourced in the USA.
The other 4 digit code will be the year and week of chip manufacture - packaging.

I can't read the text, what are the 12 digits printed on the package?

The connector is not a ZIF, it looks like a standard edge connector, little used, my guess would be 0.156” pitch based on the era and style.

• Informative
Likes Klystron and Averagesupernova
Baluncore said:
The “modern” Texas Instruments IC has a military JAN part number, 4 digit manufacturer code followed by 4 digit part number, so it was available second sourced in the USA.
Those are HP PNs, which are different than JAN, I think. They have a separate field on their BOMs for the manufacturer code. That IC is a 7490 decade counter.

So, what are the actual numbers written on the chip, and how do you know it is a TTL 7490 ?