Calculating Work Done by a Beaver in Building a Dam

• Thread starter sheepcountme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water Work
In summary, the beaver attempted to solve a problem where water leaks out at a constant rate and the work done was 270 J.
sheepcountme

Homework Statement

A beaver is building a damn and fills a 5kg bucket with 25kg of water. Then he begins to climb a vertical ladder, but unfortunately there is a whole in the bucket where water leaks out at a constant rate. At the top of the ladder, only 10kg of water is left in the bucket. Find the work done by the beaver in this problem.

Hint: Speed up the ladder is constant and writing an expression for mass of the bucket plus water as a function of height will help.

Homework Equations

(I believe):
PE=mgh
KE=(1/2)mv^2
Integrals

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I want to start with writing the expression and then integrating that, but I don't know what the expression should be... h=Mb+Mw seems too easy, or is this what they meant at first and then to do something with the PE equation and height?? Ack!

Physics news on Phys.org
First you need an expression for the mass of water as function of time.
The mass is decreasing at a constant rate. Initially, it is 25kg. The final mass is 10 kg. The total time needed to climb up is T. t is the running time. Draw a plot first, and then write the expression for m(t).

ehild

Well, we don't know the time and the hint says to write mass as a function of height, so I went ahead and used the old school skills to get mass as a function of height:
m(h)=-1.25h+30

...sooo, now should I be using integrals? Or am I taking the wrong approach?

Okay, so integrating I get:
12(30-0.655(12)) - 0 = 270 J

Is this correct?

I do not understand your old school skills. What is h at the top of the ladder? Will be the mass of water equal to 10 kg there?

h at the top (at 12m) is 15 (10kg water plus 5kg bucket)
h at the bottom (at 0m) is 30 (25kg water plus 5kg bucket)

So I used these as coordinates (0,30) and (12,15) and have the equation
m(h)=-1.25h+30

So the heigh was given? You did not write it in the first post. Then the mass is all right. But you should integral the force with respect to h. As I see, you have integrated the mass. And I do not know either, where that 0.655 comes from.

ehild

1. What kind of water do beavers prefer?

Beavers are semi-aquatic mammals and they prefer to live in freshwater habitats such as ponds, lakes, and streams.

2. Why do beavers build dams?

Beavers build dams to create a habitat that is suitable for their survival. The dams help them to maintain a stable water level and provide protection from predators.

3. How do beavers build their dams?

Beavers use their powerful front teeth and strong jaws to cut down trees and branches. They then use mud, rocks, and twigs to construct the dam, creating a barrier to hold back the water.

4. What is the purpose of a beaver's lodge?

A beaver's lodge is their home and serves as a safe place for them to live and raise their young. It is also used as a storage area for food during the winter months.

5. How do beavers help the environment?

Beavers are considered ecosystem engineers because their dams and lodges create a variety of habitats for other wildlife. They also play a role in nutrient cycling and water filtration in their habitats.