Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Because I'm A Moron

1. Sep 12, 2005 #1
    If neutron matter were contained under huge pressure(equal to the gravity pressure in a neutron star) inside a toroidal magnetic bottle(the devices creating the magnetic field in turn are held together by a hyper strong material) could the neutron matter(and the witchery that contains it) be spun at high speed and have a tensile strength that would hold the entire affair from flying apart? I've tried thinking about this for days without being able to give myself an answer. :confused: :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2005 #2
    I should have written these in the above post:

Would the rotational speed lower the pressure(even though it's inside the magnetic bottle pressure tank) on the neutron matter causing it to evaporate?

Do the neutrons within neutron matter have a Strong Force bond with the neutrons they touch?

What level of pressure is needed to keep neutron matter stable?

4. Sep 17, 2005 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Your centrifuge would fly apart long before you achieved the pressure required to achieve neutron degeneracy. Think about it.

5. Sep 18, 2005 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

First of all, neutrons being neutrally charged cannot be confined by a magnetic field - only charged particles can be confined by a magetic field. In the D-T fusion reaction, neutrons escape from the confined plasma.

The pressure required to maintain neutronium (degenerate neutron matter) greatly exceeds by several orders of magnitude any pressure humans can create on earth.

Neutrons in a neutron star likely have some kind of interaction; however, since we cannot recreate such conditions on Earth, we are left with hypotheses or theories based on subatomic interactions we can observe.

It is not clear that neutrons in a neutron star are necessarily stable. Perhaps they decay into a proton as some point, or become a baryonic resonance, which then decays back into a neutron. If a neutron decays into a proton, it may capture an electron and become a neutron again. Neverthless, there is some type of equilibrium because neutron stars exist for a long time compared to the free neutron half-life.

6. Sep 20, 2005 #5
    No, no, not spinning neutrons to force them to become neutron matter; but holding a fastly rotating ring together with femto scale wires of neutron matter held inside a magnetic bottle. Astronuc informed me that a magnetic bottle wouldn't work for this, so the whole idea I had goes to pieces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?