Because Physics is better than your major

In summary: The Stanford Linear Accelerator National Lab for the APS CA/NV section meeting. They gave us a tour of the accelerator facility and here are my crappy photos.
Pengwuino said:
So sometimes people ask "why physics?" and I tell them about all that BS about learning how the world works, doing stuff that challenges me and interests me...

but this is the actual answer:

15x4hub.jpg

X-ray laser experiment designed to be awesome

23k6cn6.jpg

ZOMG WHAT IS THAT?!?

fe3wba.jpg

More awesome. AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT DOES.

o6bi38.jpg

Okay this is more badass when they're actually here doing experiments

2z4l9pe.jpg

SLAC Main Control Center, and the people working there act like they don't have a sweet *** job.

349ck0o.jpg

Oh and to top it all off, dinner with a Nobel Prize winner.

SO WHERE WAS I?

Oh, right, I was at the Stanford Linear Accelerator National Lab for the APS CA/NV section meeting. They gave us a tour of the accelerator facility and here are my crappy photos. For cereal, though, what other areas (I know this isn't just a physicist's job) gets to play with awesome, massive experiments like this? Hell, I gave a talk, so the room was paid for by the APS! Then, oh, right, freaken Nobel Prize winner. How many people in other majors get to say stuff like that?

So, in conclusion, Physics is just better than whatever you're studying. I'm hyper right now.

DISCUSS!

I took that tour once. Steven Chu had just won his Nobel Prize and was the guest speaker.

Cool place!

Why Physics? Do they offer other degrees as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
Sigh... learn your algebra!

You see! You even act like a math guy:tongue2:
...well come to think of it, math guys are less stuck up about their mathness :biggrin:

The more I look at these photos the more the evidence pops up into my eyes. This is a time travel machine. Pictures 4 and 5 clearly show they are having some fun either watching the universe at time 0 s or 10^200 years forward. Don't be surprised if their next paper will refute the Big Crunch theory.

russ_watters said:
I do air conditioning because its cool. :cool:

*giggles*

I can always default to: I get paid to talk about sex.

Pengwuino said:
So, in conclusion, Physics is just better than whatever you're studying. I'm hyper right now.
Nah... engineers get to play with (and wreck) some big boys toys as well as physicists.

A pity about the stilted commentary on the video, but the nail-biting was genuine enough. Been there, done that...

Last edited by a moderator:
fluidistic said:
The more I look at these photos the more the evidence pops up into my eyes. This is a time travel machine. Pictures 4 and 5 clearly show they are having some fun either watching the universe at time 0 s or 10^200 years forward. Don't be surprised if their next paper will refute the Big Crunch theory.

Hmm, I was thinking it was a parallel universe generator.