Beckham is coming to America.

Perhaps domestic credibility, but I think that is what you were inferring, but not international...
The US isn't going to get international credibility in soccer until soccer has national credibility.

verty
Homework Helper
It sounds to me like they are hoping to attract new fans and thereby more advertising money.

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Perhaps domestic credibility, but I think that is what you were inferring, but not international...
Credibility meaning it will attract the attention of domestic television markets and endorsement contracts. I don't think they necessarily care that they can compete with leagues worldwide. They're concerned about competing with MLB, the NBA, and the NFL. Attracting fans is the first step.

J77
Whether or not you like him as a player, this will do wonders for MLS. The marketing potential is massive. MLS will actually be on espn and in the news. Now it is rumored the brazilian Ronaldo might goto NY Red Bulls and Edgar Davids to FC Dallas.

side note: Excited to see Clint Dempsey play for Fulham!
The Americans playing in the premiership are much better than the guys the rest of the world is sending to the US.

Ronaldo - to quote the bbc during the last world cup: "A fat penguin".

Davids - one of the most overrated players ever. Sticks his head down, charges with the ball, step on the ball, cries about it.

The Americans playing in the premiership are much better than the guys the rest of the world is sending to the US.

Davids - one of the most overrated players ever. Sticks his head down, charges with the ball, step on the ball, cries about it.
:rofl: fat penguin, not quite but I can see where he's coming from.

I personally think the US needs to export more players as well as growing home grown talent, it also needs some sort of competition like the European cup(or do they already have something like this?) England had to sit out of the European game for years and it seriously damaged our talent. Playing at a different level could only strengthen the teams there, and the world cups only once every four years.

Well, I wonder if there is any US player better than Ronaldo in his good times with F. C. Barcelona (the last Champions League winner, and probably the best football team actually).

Take it easy:

Last edited by a moderator:
One doesnt play for:

Ajax, Juventus and FC Barcelona, if one is overrated. He is way past his prime, but *was* (Once apon a time, many moons ago) a good player, very aggressive...

J77
One doesnt play for:

Ajax, Juventus and FC Barcelona, if one is overrated. He is way past his prime, but *was* (Once apon a time, many moons ago) a good player, very aggressive...
His whiney attitude held the Dutch back, every time.

OK - he was a fairly good player while at Juve; Ajax? not one of the consistently best in the world; Barca - they play some nice football, I'd like to see them week-in-week-out playing the likes of Che$ki, ManUre and the Arse tho'