1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Becoming a math tutor.

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    okay so I'm in my first year of university and I've been going to 2 math tutors for a business calculus course. The one is an older lady who has a very large amount of people who go to her she makes around $500 a day, she does this by tutoring 5 kids at once I was actually there where a day before a test 15 people were there at $20 an hour for 2 hours. The other one is a guy who does the labs for the course he does one on one and charges $25 an hour but I learn a lot more from him than the other tutor. So what I'm getting at is I'm thinking of trying to master this course after I take it, and just understand it extremely well so that I could be a tutor for it. This course is pretty well mandatory for first year commerce students, and when your in your first year and your taking math, your bound to have a lot of troubles at least I've noticed this with the others in the class a long with myself. So would this be a good idea, I'm actually thinking I could make this my only job and I could pull in up to $200 a day at least through the school year, and when I start to build up a lot of clients I could teach 3 or 4 people at once for $20 an hour that's when you can start making a ton of money.

So any thoughts on if my plan is a good one?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Beware, tutoring is not just easy money. Tutoring somebody can be really intensive and exhausting. You must really understand the student's problem very well to be able to answer the questions. Just knowing the stuff isn't good enough.
    Furthermore, most students just aren't interested in the course. So they will make no effort what-so-ever. They're not interested in understanding anything, but just in a good grade.

4. Oct 9, 2011 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

where do i apply? thats more than i made as a professor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook