Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Becoming a meteorologist

1. Sep 4, 2010 #1

ACG

Hi!

I was wondering what the best way would be for me to transition into a career in meteorology. I have a minor in earth, atmospheric, and planetary sciences from MIT (and would have probably become a meteorologist had I realized MIT had a degree in it!). My actual degree is in software engineering, but I've gotten a bit sick of that. I've been interested in weather my entire life, though.

I'm 38 and living in Boston. It would really help having job where you don't get yelled at if you make a mistake :)

Thanks in advance,

ACG

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2010 #2
    I thought you needed statistics degree for that sort of thing.

4. Sep 4, 2010 #3

ACG

Statistics? Why statistics?

My actual degree from MIT is actually math with computer science (so I've got a strong math background).

5. Sep 4, 2010 #4
    Wait I reread your post and I don't see any questions. What am i supposed to answer? I also thought you said your degree was from software engineering...

6. Sep 4, 2010 #5

ACG

I have a software engineering degree but I'm thinking of changing careers. What additional training do I need? Where do I begin? Do I have to go back to school? Should I get involved with some weather forecasting group (at least amateur weather forecasting)?

7. Sep 4, 2010 #6
    Ok but just to clarify, you have 2 degrees? Software engineering degree and math with computer science ???

8. Sep 4, 2010 #7

ACG

My degree is in math with computer science (theoretical CS for the most part with a strong math background) with a minor in earth, atmospheric, and planetary science. I have a master's in computer science.

9. Sep 4, 2010 #8
    But you also said you had a software engineering degree. So can you clarify on that? Or is that your current occupation?

10. Sep 4, 2010 #9

ACG

That's my current occupation. I was big on software for maybe 10 years and that's what my degree is in. My interests have changed a lot since then though, and meteorology/weather has always been a hobby.

11. Sep 7, 2010 #10
    What kind of job would you be looking at in meteorology? You could become a media meteorologist with a BS and possibly a certificate if you have the right kind of personal traits. Otherwise the US jobs are mostly with NOAA, the military/DOD and perhaps a few other government agencies such as NASA or DOA. There are some private sector jobs such as with airlines and private forecasting/consulting firms. Forget academic jobs unless you have, or are prepared to get a PhD.

EDIT: Here's a list of US and Canadian training programs and degrees offered:

http://www.nwas.org/links/universities.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook