How can I break into the field of meteorology with my current background?

• Thread starter ACG
  • Start date
In summary, you would need a degree in meteorology, such as a BS or an MS, and have strong math and computer science skills. You would also need to have the right personal traits for the job, such as being patient and not getting yelled at.
ACG
Hi!

I was wondering what the best way would be for me to transition into a career in meteorology. I have a minor in earth, atmospheric, and planetary sciences from MIT (and would have probably become a meteorologist had I realized MIT had a degree in it!). My actual degree is in software engineering, but I've gotten a bit sick of that. I've been interested in weather my entire life, though.

I'm 38 and living in Boston. It would really help having job where you don't get yelled at if you make a mistake :)

Thanks in advance,

ACG

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought you needed statistics degree for that sort of thing.

Statistics? Why statistics?

My actual degree from MIT is actually math with computer science (so I've got a strong math background).

Wait I reread your post and I don't see any questions. What am i supposed to answer? I also thought you said your degree was from software engineering...

I have a software engineering degree but I'm thinking of changing careers. What additional training do I need? Where do I begin? Do I have to go back to school? Should I get involved with some weather forecasting group (at least amateur weather forecasting)?

Ok but just to clarify, you have 2 degrees? Software engineering degree and math with computer science ?

My degree is in math with computer science (theoretical CS for the most part with a strong math background) with a minor in earth, atmospheric, and planetary science. I have a master's in computer science.

ACG said:
My degree is in math with computer science (theoretical CS for the most part with a strong math background) with a minor in earth, atmospheric, and planetary science. I have a master's in computer science.

But you also said you had a software engineering degree. So can you clarify on that? Or is that your current occupation?

That's my current occupation. I was big on software for maybe 10 years and that's what my degree is in. My interests have changed a lot since then though, and meteorology/weather has always been a hobby.

ACG said:
Hi!

I was wondering what the best way would be for me to transition into a career in meteorology. I have a minor in earth, atmospheric, and planetary sciences from MIT (and would have probably become a meteorologist had I realized MIT had a degree in it!). My actual degree is in software engineering, but I've gotten a bit sick of that. I've been interested in weather my entire life, though.

I'm 38 and living in Boston. It would really help having job where you don't get yelled at if you make a mistake :)

Thanks in advance,

ACG

What kind of job would you be looking at in meteorology? You could become a media meteorologist with a BS and possibly a certificate if you have the right kind of personal traits. Otherwise the US jobs are mostly with NOAA, the military/DOD and perhaps a few other government agencies such as NASA or DOA. There are some private sector jobs such as with airlines and private forecasting/consulting firms. Forget academic jobs unless you have, or are prepared to get a PhD.

EDIT: Here's a list of US and Canadian training programs and degrees offered:

http://www.nwas.org/links/universities.php

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a meteorologist?

A meteorologist is a scientist who studies the Earth's atmosphere and its weather patterns. They use scientific principles and tools to predict and understand weather phenomena such as hurricanes, tornadoes, and climate change.

2. What kind of education is required to become a meteorologist?

To become a meteorologist, you will typically need at least a bachelor's degree in meteorology or atmospheric science. Some employers may also require a master's degree. Coursework in math, physics, and computer science is also important for this career.

3. What skills are necessary to be a successful meteorologist?

Successful meteorologists possess a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They also need to be proficient in using computer software and data analysis tools. Good communication skills are also important for presenting weather forecasts and research findings to the public.

4. What types of jobs can a meteorologist have?

Meteorologists can work in a variety of settings, including government agencies, private companies, and research institutions. Some common job titles in this field include weather forecaster, climatologist, atmospheric researcher, and broadcast meteorologist.

5. What is the job outlook for meteorologists?

The job outlook for meteorologists is positive, with a projected growth of 8% from 2019 to 2029. As the effects of climate change become more apparent, the demand for skilled meteorologists to study and predict weather patterns will likely increase. Additionally, advancements in technology and data analysis will also create new job opportunities in this field.