Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Becoming a patron at a college library?

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1
    Do you have to be a student at MIT or Stanford , in order to check out books from therir liibrary or can you become a patron without being a student?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

4. Feb 12, 2009 #3
    That if people can give you a job, they sure can get it away from you. If someone can go into one of those good schools, he can also be kicked out of it. Just time lets you know it

5. Feb 12, 2009 #4
    Here's MIT's user policies:
    http://libraries.mit.edu/groups/visitors/users.html [Broken]

Again.. google is amazingly quick.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Feb 12, 2009 #5
    $500 a year!?!?! Its not like there is a waiting list for people to become patrons at MIT library, why so expensive? Is that the price range to become a patron at most elite college Libraries like MIT? At my school, it only cost $50 a year to be a patron, and you are still allowed interlibrary loan privileges.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Feb 12, 2009 #6
    What's dumb is that the page also says that if you have a Boston Public Library card, you can check out books from MIT. But I'd assume that the costs of getting a public library card are quite low, and that practically anyone who lives in the area can get one.

8. Feb 12, 2009 #7
    Screw checking out books, I would be more interested in journal access. I don't know what I'm going to do after I graduate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook