1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Becoming a research scientist

1. Aug 14, 2011 #1
    Hi....I am from India...am doing my B.E(2nd yr) in Mechanical
    but my real interest is in astrophysics...or physics in general...what further studies should i pursue to become a research scientist in say NASA..??
    Plz do reply!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2011 #2
    I am in the same situation doing the 2nd year of my 5-year mech engineer diploma, but i want to study astrophysics/astronomy.I have done a little research on what I need to do if i still want astropisics when i graduate.heres the deal:
    Either you study again undergrad physics (if your backround isnt good) or you apply for a masters in astrophysics but with keeping in mind that you may have to do a lot of hard work to compete with the other students. And thats because you spent your undergrad years studying mechatronics, and robotics, which has nothing to do with research in astrophysics which requires quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics and relativity.

I hope i have helped.DOnt forget that i am too trying to help myself

4. Sep 24, 2011 #3
    Heyy...thanx for the help...
    but could u plz suggest some good universities for the undergrad physics course and also for the masters in astrophysics one...and btw where are you from??

5. Sep 24, 2011 #4
    Hey im from Greece.I have done alittle research for usa and european universities.Which continent do you want?

6. Oct 21, 2011 #5
    sorry for late rep...i was a bit busy
    and both will be fine for me!!!!
    plz share ur research!!!

7. Oct 21, 2011 #6

there r millions of options for undergrad.If toy dont have money issues dont hesitate and apply at the best(berkeley,caltech,princeton,cambridge, oxford...).dont forget that they r very selective though

In netherlands there r some good masters programms in english.check leiden uni, amsterdam uni, radbound.

8. Oct 21, 2011 #7

turbo

Gold Member

At some point, this thread is destined to collapse into text-speak so that normal English-speaking people cannot parse it without concussion or some other sort of dain-bramage. :wink:

9. Oct 21, 2011 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

To add to Turbo's message, first, please take a look at the PF Rules on text-speak. Second, if you really want to be a research scientist, the very first thing you have to do is stop writing like an illiterate lunkhead and start writing like an educated person.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook