How can one become a math expert?

• Thread starter starrynight108
  • Start date
In summary, it seems that becoming an expert in math requires studying, understanding, and applying what you learn.
starrynight108
Hi,

I apologize if this post is in the wrong area!

How does one become an expert in Math? The only experts I know personally in math are either professors or this tutor that studied math in Vietnam and the math classes she is taking are basically review for her.

I would consider someone an "expert" on a particular math concept if they: know where this concept comes from - be it a fundamental property/concept or built from a former property/concept; knows how to derive this concept and show it visually/graphically, if possible (there are other ways to show a concept but if you can show it visually it suggests, IMO, that you just don't have a formula memorized!); and lastly, how a concept connects to other concepts (in other words, they should be able to connect the dots from an advanced concept all the way back to a fundamental property/concept).

*Of course, connecting the dots to other concepts is limited by whatever level of math a person has reached. That's why the professors have the high level view of things. I feel the education curriculum (USA), at least in my experience, is extremely inefficient. But I digress...

I am fed formulas and concepts and told to memorize them. This drives me crazy and I know it's not the only way to learn. I am in calculus 1 now and just finished up a pre-algebra - algebra 2 self-study review. I used many different resources and I have a much stronger understanding/appreciation of this material.

It seems I am doomed to re-learn every math class that I pass. As a side note, I earn As in these math classes, but getting an A and having a strong grasp of the knowledge can be two different things. This is evident with many of the student tutors at my college. They can show you the formula and then it comes down to plug-and-chug.

What are your thoughts/experiences? If you're a math expert, what advice would you give to someone striving to be one as well?

Likes RJLiberator
Physics news on Phys.org
Work a lot of problems, and then, after that, ... work a lot more. Ask yourself all the questions about where this came from, why, etc? and then dig out the answers for yourself.

Likes rootone and Nathew
Thank you for your response.

I have had similar experiences with you in my high school / early college times. I think the most important thing that schools can teach you is how to teach yourself. I know it might sound strange, but classes/lectures only have so much time (few hours a week for a few months) to teach you a subject that you could learn over a whole lifetime. Essentially, classes introduce you the material but it is really up to you to look into it and understand it for yourself. If classes had time to walk you through all the concepts and steps, the class would take years.

You will see a transformation when you hit proof based courses. They are much more difficult then plug and chug and you WILL learn the intricacies of math in proof based courses. Now, if you succeed at these courses and put everything together you will have what it takes to reach your goals!

I say this as someone in a similar situation, aspiring to understand math on a very high level, I've A'd all of my math courses and have had to repeatedly go back to the subjects to relearn and learn more about them, but when I hit my first proof course a lot of it started to connect to me on a deeper level.

Mathematics is a tool which can't really be mastered independently of its applications; I would say that even though I did well in calculus, linear algebra, mathematical physics and so on I did not master any of these subjects until I really applied them for a considerable period of time, especially in research. The algorithms I know best are those I've worked with for several years now.

EDIT: To add to this, as you work with implementing a new algorithm or use a particular technique, you find increasingly that your need to understand the motivation behind it increases. I effectively "learned" all of the background on kinetic Monte Carlo techniques and Markov processes, and could repeat the various connections and the reasons for their existence, but I did not truly understand them until I was building Markov models of my own and needed to delve deeper.

Last edited:
Arsenic&Lace said:
Mathematics is a tool which can't really be mastered independently of its applications...

People are different. For some, what you say is true; for others, applications are just a distraction and the mathematics is mastered only in isolated purity. Your way is not the only way.

starrynight108 got the answer. You become an expert by studying, understanding, and applying what you learn. There are no shortcuts to diligent study and hard work.

What are the benefits of becoming an expert in math?

Becoming an expert in math can lead to various benefits, both personally and professionally. Some of the most common benefits include improved critical thinking skills, better problem-solving abilities, increased job opportunities in fields such as engineering and finance, and the ability to understand and interpret data more accurately.

What is the best way to become an expert in math?

The best way to become an expert in math is through consistent practice and dedication. This can include studying regularly, seeking help from teachers or tutors, and working on challenging problems. It is also important to have a solid understanding of foundational math concepts before moving on to more advanced topics.

How long does it take to become an expert in math?

The amount of time it takes to become an expert in math can vary from person to person. Generally, it takes several years of consistent studying and practice to become proficient in math. However, becoming an expert in a specific area of math may take longer, depending on the complexity of the subject and individual abilities.

Can anyone become an expert in math?

Yes, with dedication and hard work, anyone can become an expert in math. While some individuals may have a natural aptitude for math, it is not a skill that is limited to any specific group of people. With the right mindset and approach, anyone can improve their math skills and become an expert in the subject.

What are some tips for becoming an expert in math?

Some tips for becoming an expert in math include setting specific goals, seeking help when needed, practicing consistently, and approaching problems with a growth mindset. It is also important to stay organized and review previous concepts regularly to build a strong foundation for more advanced topics.