Becoming an ISP: Questions and Advice from Experienced Professionals

• Thread starter thermant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isp
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of becoming a small ISP in Indonesia and asks for advice and recommendations on the steps, skills, and knowledge needed, as well as reliable and affordable bandwidth providers. The conversation also mentions a link to a website for further information on ISP policies.
thermant
Hiya guys,

I am thinking of becoming a small (for now) ISP here in my country (Indonesia), and I have some questions that I hope you guys can answer...

Well, here goes:
1. Where can I get some general information on becoming an ISP? Like the steps to be taken, the skills/knowledge I need, etc, etc. Or maybe one of you guys already have an ISP or works in an ISP company and willing to teach a newbie? :tongue:

2. Bandwidth is quite expensive here, it can cost up to USD8000 for a 2Mbps line per month. So I'm really interested in getting bandwidth from abroad, either using satellite or something else. I googled and found several companies (most of them in the U.S) that offer this service, but I'm not sure if those companies are reliable. Can you guys recommend some bandwidth providers that are reliable and whose prices are competitive? They can be located in the States, Hong Kong, Singapore, or wherever. Just as long as they do deliver what they offer (and not too expensive)...

Any more things I should know (or ask)?

Any information you guys can offer is greatly appreciated.

-Ted-

Computer science news on Phys.org
1 at http://www.apnic.net/docs/policy/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an ISP?

An ISP (Internet Service Provider) is a company that provides individuals or organizations with access to the internet. This can include services such as internet connectivity, email, web hosting, and more.

2. What are the key responsibilities of an ISP?

An ISP is responsible for maintaining the infrastructure and network necessary to provide internet services to their customers. This includes managing servers, routers, and other equipment, as well as handling customer support and ensuring a reliable and secure connection.

3. How do I become an ISP?

The process of becoming an ISP can vary depending on the location and specific requirements. Generally, it involves obtaining the necessary licenses and permits, acquiring the necessary equipment and infrastructure, and establishing partnerships with other ISPs and network providers.

4. What skills and qualifications are required to become an ISP?

To become an ISP, individuals should have a strong understanding of computer networking and information technology. A degree in computer science or a related field can be beneficial, as well as experience in network management, customer service, and business management.

5. What advice do experienced professionals have for someone interested in becoming an ISP?

Some advice from experienced professionals includes staying up-to-date on industry developments and advancements, building strong relationships with network providers and customers, and continuously improving and expanding services to meet the changing needs of customers.