1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Becoming Software Engineer/Network Administrator with 2 minor felonies

1. Aug 21, 2005 #1
    Is it possible to become a software engineer/Developer or network administrator for a descent company with B.Sc in Computer Science 3.5 Gpa with 2 felonies 1 for shop lifting at age of 18 and 1 for document forgery, ID cards to be exact at age of 20 and serving 12 months of probation for each felony?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2005 #2
    You'll probably have very hard time finding job. The thing that sucks is that you did something most of the teenagers do, but I guess you had bad luck and got caught by the cops. It really, really sucks! :frown:
  4. Aug 22, 2005 #3

Gold Member

Its going to be a lil hard. Sensitive electronic information and forgery is not a good combonation but you won't know for sure unless you try :D
  5. Aug 22, 2005 #4
    I can't find a job in the tech industry with a B.S. in C.S. so I doubt if you could either with felonies on your record.
  6. Aug 22, 2005 #5
    I have a friend who is a software developer for a major company, he graduated from my school last year, he says he spoke with somebody within the company and he was told that shop lifting they won't care about and forgery I could say i used forged ID to buy alcohol and got cought, was a stupid teenager. On the other hand, in such competitive field who is even going to want to listen to my excuses. Only 3 semesters left.... yeah I guess I'll never know until I try. :frown:
  7. Aug 22, 2005 #6
    Right now, it's rough out there for people with CS degrees, years of experience, solid references, and clean records. I can only guess that it would be even harder with no experience and a record. I would think you would have a slightly easier time as a programmer then a system admin. System administrator is a position of immense trust, your record could disqualify you for many positions like that.
  8. Aug 22, 2005 #7
    How bad does it look to graduate schools having something on your school record, such as a simple hack gone wrong? Like.....say you forged a classmate's email address, sending it to the teacher having it say that the student wants to drop the course. Will this scare graduate schools away even if it happened your freshmen year?
  9. Aug 22, 2005 #8
    Why did you do that? That's pretty mean.
  10. Aug 22, 2005 #9
    I couldn't help myself. I thought it was hilarious. I planned to watch it unfold sometime during class, but they didn't talk. But hey I could have done something worse, like forge the teacher's address and send a mass mail to the entire class..."Class is cancelled tomorrow". :biggrin:
  11. Aug 22, 2005 #10
    In that case, I would hope that a grad school takes it into consideration. Whether you thought it was hilarious or not, it was a pretty malicious act.
  12. Aug 22, 2005 #11
    Yea it probably was. The guy didn't even know his own email password. I eventually told him I did it. He laughed. I learned one thing though, not to let my curiosity run me. Hopefully graduate schools will just ask for an explanation and understand.
  13. Aug 22, 2005 #12

Gold Member

.... that should have been an immediate expulsion from the university.
  14. Aug 22, 2005 #13
    You're joking right? For something like that?
  15. Aug 23, 2005 #14

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, some things & people should just loosen up, in the big picture pranks are pranks.
  16. Aug 23, 2005 #15
    You should have made it a little less...serious...lol...like what I did was I got into my friends email account and I just sent a fake email to a few other friends. All I'll say is they were all pretty confused until I told them what I did...Oh, and I modified his start-up folder so that when he logged in about 60 pop-up windows would appear consecutively...bogged down the computer quite a bit.
  17. Aug 23, 2005 #16

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Large companies are VERY big on ethics. Which is what you're making light of.

Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) compliance means that if you try to work for a publicly traded company, they will check your background, and they will actually verify everything on your resume. I had a Q-clearance from the department of Energy, and my company still spent two weeks verifying who I was and what I had done.

Any felony will disqualify you from working at a publicly traded company. Period.
  18. Aug 23, 2005 #17
    Pardon Services

Hint... I know in Canada we have something called pardon services. A few years after your felony you can approach this government branch and get a pardon, basically they will erase it from your record. Especially since you are getting educated and are on track to a good life I am sure you would have a good chance. They are things you have done at a younger age, and by the time you graduate you will be 24-25 they will have 4 or 5 years behind you. I don't know how the US does this, but it is a very good and real option. John.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  19. Aug 23, 2005 #18
    OK after a quick search not so easy in the US. The president or in some cases governer must grant a pardon. But it is possible if you put some work into it, you have a strong case and would be stupid not to do everything in your power to get this behind you.
  20. Aug 23, 2005 #19
    You're refering to Varus, the one who started this thread, right? Me, I have no record.
  21. Aug 23, 2005 #20

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It might be helpful to stop calling them "minor felonies"! A "felony", by definition, is not minor. What you are talking about are "misdemeanors".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?