Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bee Knowledgeable

1. Oct 6, 2018 #1

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

SEATTLE—The epiphany that mushrooms could help save the world’s ailing bee colonies struck Paul Stamets while he was in bed.

“I love waking dreams,” he said. “It’s a time when you’re just coming back into consciousness.”

Years ago, in 1984, Stamets had noticed a “continuous convoy of bees” traveling from a patch of mushrooms he was growing and his beehives. The bees actually moved wood chips to access his mushroom’s mycelium, the branching fibers of fungus that look like cobwebs.

https://triblive.com/usworld/world/...long-haired-hippie-could-help-save-the-worlds

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2018 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Oct 7, 2018 #3

jedishrfu

I think several beellilion or more.

5. Oct 8, 2018 #4
    So is "Roundup" the real cause of hive collapse?

6. Oct 8, 2018 #5

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2017 Award

Scientific studies have implicated pesticides containing neonicotinoid compounds in harming bees and other pollinator insects: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018...controversial-neonic-pesticides-threaten-bees

Roundup, whose active ingredient is the herbicide glyphosate, would not be expected to directly affect insects, and I am not aware of any studies showing this.

7. Oct 8, 2018 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Unlikely, as CCD has been observed in the 19th century. Glyphosate was invented in the 1970's.

8. Oct 8, 2018 #7
    The article you referenced stated that the compounds impaired the bees' navigation and reproduction. I remember reading somewhere that glyphosate weakened their immune system making them vulnerable to a certain fungus. I'm so sorry, I can't provide the reference for you.

9. Oct 8, 2018 #8

jedishrfu

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted