Bee Knowledgeable

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
SEATTLE—The epiphany that mushrooms could help save the world’s ailing bee colonies struck Paul Stamets while he was in bed.

“I love waking dreams,” he said. “It’s a time when you’re just coming back into consciousness.”

Years ago, in 1984, Stamets had noticed a “continuous convoy of bees” traveling from a patch of mushrooms he was growing and his beehives. The bees actually moved wood chips to access his mushroom’s mycelium, the branching fibers of fungus that look like cobwebs.

https://triblive.com/usworld/world/...long-haired-hippie-could-help-save-the-worlds

Likes jim mcnamara and BillTre

Answers and Replies

So is "Roundup" the real cause of hive collapse?

Ygggdrasil
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
So is "Roundup" the real cause of hive collapse?
Unlikely, as CCD has been observed in the 19th century. Glyphosate was invented in the 1970's.

Scientific studies have implicated pesticides containing neonicotinoid compounds in harming bees and other pollinator insects: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018...controversial-neonic-pesticides-threaten-bees

Roundup, whose active ingredient is the herbicide glyphosate, would not be expected to directly affect insects, and I am not aware of any studies showing this.
The article you referenced stated that the compounds impaired the bees' navigation and reproduction. I remember reading somewhere that glyphosate weakened their immune system making them vulnerable to a certain fungus. I'm so sorry, I can't provide the reference for you.