Could mushrooms be the key to saving bees?

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
In summary, the article found that glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, alters the gut microbiota of honey bees. This could have negative consequences for the bees' health, including CCD.
SEATTLE—The epiphany that mushrooms could help save the world’s ailing bee colonies struck Paul Stamets while he was in bed.

“I love waking dreams,” he said. “It’s a time when you’re just coming back into consciousness.”

Years ago, in 1984, Stamets had noticed a “continuous convoy of bees” traveling from a patch of mushrooms he was growing and his beehives. The bees actually moved wood chips to access his mushroom’s mycelium, the branching fibers of fungus that look like cobwebs.

https://triblive.com/usworld/world/...long-haired-hippie-could-help-save-the-worlds

Likes jim mcnamara and BillTre
Biology news on Phys.org
So is "Roundup" the real cause of hive collapse?

alantheastronomer said:

Scientific studies have implicated pesticides containing neonicotinoid compounds in harming bees and other pollinator insects: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018...controversial-neonic-pesticides-threaten-bees

Roundup, whose active ingredient is the herbicide glyphosate, would not be expected to directly affect insects, and I am not aware of any studies showing this.

alantheastronomer said:

Unlikely, as CCD has been observed in the 19th century. Glyphosate was invented in the 1970's.

Ygggdrasil said:
Scientific studies have implicated pesticides containing neonicotinoid compounds in harming bees and other pollinator insects: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018...controversial-neonic-pesticides-threaten-bees

Roundup, whose active ingredient is the herbicide glyphosate, would not be expected to directly affect insects, and I am not aware of any studies showing this.
The article you referenced stated that the compounds impaired the bees' navigation and reproduction. I remember reading somewhere that glyphosate weakened their immune system making them vulnerable to a certain fungus. I'm so sorry, I can't provide the reference for you.

1. What is "Bee Knowledgeable"?

"Bee Knowledgeable" is a platform dedicated to educating the public about bees and their importance in our ecosystem. It provides resources, information, and activities to help people learn more about bees and how to protect them.

2. Why is it important to be knowledgeable about bees?

Bees play a crucial role in pollination, which is essential for the growth and reproduction of plants. Without bees, many of our food crops and natural habitats would suffer. By understanding bees and their needs, we can help support their populations and ensure the health of our environment.

3. What kind of information can I find on "Bee Knowledgeable"?

"Bee Knowledgeable" offers a variety of information on different types of bees, their behaviors, habitats, and threats to their survival. You can also find tips on how to create bee-friendly environments, how to identify different bee species, and how to get involved in bee conservation efforts.

4. Can anyone contribute to "Bee Knowledgeable"?

Yes, "Bee Knowledgeable" is open to contributions from anyone who is passionate about bees and wants to share their knowledge and experiences. You can submit articles, resources, or activities related to bees and bee conservation to be featured on the platform.

5. How can I get involved in bee conservation efforts?

There are many ways to get involved in bee conservation, from creating bee-friendly gardens to supporting local beekeepers. "Bee Knowledgeable" offers resources and tips on how to take action and make a positive impact on bee populations in your community.

Back