Bee Photo

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date

Integral

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Saw this guy buzzing around the back yard, thought I'd share him with you.
http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/scenery/bee.JPG [Broken]

http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/scenery/bee2.JPG [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

wolram

Gold Member
I think its a triffid photo

wolram said:
I think its a triffid photo
I don't see it spitting poison... and killing.

once, i saw a bee eat a hamburger. didn't know bees were carnivores.

honestrosewater

Gold Member
I need some perspective. Is that a big bee or a small flower?

Can't you tell by the Volkswagen parked inside the flower?

honestrosewater

Gold Member
In that case, maybe it's a Soviet spy plane disguised as a bee. :uhh:
Be careful, Integral. They may have discovered your underground lair.

Last edited:

Integral

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
That was a big bee, or actually a Bumble Bee. I guess it to be about 1.5 - 2 cm long. Like the end of your thumb.

wolram

Gold Member
Integral said:
That was a big bee, or actually a Bumble Bee. I guess it to be about 1.5 - 2 cm long. Like the end of your thumb.
Thats a big bee, more the size of a hornet.

I meant to post thats a terrific photo, dont know where triffid came from.

"Say, was you ever bit by a dead bee?"

-Eddie The Rummy
To Have and Have Not

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Jelfish said:
Can't you tell by the Volkswagen parked inside the flower?
Nicely done.

Integral, your camera does a really beautiful job at creating figure/ground focal contrast.

Danger

Gold Member
Well, since you insisted...

http://img321.echo.cx/img321/4392/pf6do.jpg

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Nice gladioli there too! :biggrin: Beautiful pictures. :approve:

That is a big bee!

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Moonbear said:
Nice gladioli there too! :biggrin: Beautiful pictures. :approve:
I was thinking the same thing.

I took a picture of a bumblebee recently on some vetch. Really pretty.

When the mums flower, we have lots to bees and I like to sit for a while and watch them. When I was a teenager, I used to watch bees in flowering tree in the backyard. The tree had very beautiful pink flowers, which really looked nice against a deep blue sky or with white puffy clouds.

Which reminds me, I used to lie in the backyard, while wearing dark (sun) glasses, and stare at the clouds passing over. It was especially cool to watch billowing clouds changing form rapidly. :smile:

I still occasionally watch the sky, and clouds, and I love to watch sunsets. :cool: :smile:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
mattmns said:
That is a big bee!
There was an even bigger one... We haven't seen Integral since...

http://img106.echo.cx/img106/5947/flyingbob22cw.jpg

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
After seeing these pictures, I was out in the yard enjoying my own flower garden, and sat watching the big bumble bees climbing on the flowers. Too bad I can't remember what I planted to tell you what type of flowers they were (I planted a lot of random seeds I had lying around that never made it into gardens before and mixed them with a variety pack for naturalizing), but the bee was quite covered in pollen. :biggrin: (Oh, my lilies have bloomed too, at least two blooms have opened...good, I can enjoy them before I leave...usually everything in my garden decides to bloom while I'm at summer conferences and I leave when there are buds forming and return to find brown flowers on the ground...the lilies are wonderfully fragrant! I snipped off one blossom and put it in a small vase in my bedroom; very relaxing).

honestrosewater

Gold Member
Astronuc said:
Which reminds me, I used to lie in the backyard, while wearing dark (sun) glasses, and stare at the clouds passing over. It was especially cool to watch billowing clouds changing form rapidly. :smile:

I still occasionally watch the sky, and clouds, and I love to watch sunsets. :cool: :smile:
I have a fascination with clouds too. I especially enjoy the wonderful colors they take on around sunset and sunrise and the way the sunlight plays with them. They can show some very interesting contrast and texture. Some mornings the clouds roll in from the beach very quickly. I loved to watch them rush by, fading in and out. Ah, I need to start taking pictures again. :biggrin: Are there any other cloud lovers around here?

Danger

Gold Member
Moonbear said:
I snipped off one blossom and put it in a small vase in my bedroom; very relaxing).
The very concept of you wanting something 'relaxing' in your bedroom astounds me. Does this mean that I've been assembling my arsenal for nothing? :frown:

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I love to watch nature - including clouds, during the day, at sunrise and at sunset. :smile:

I also look at flowers (and we have been planted several around the property) and watch the insects. Recently we planted some 'butterfly bushes' and a few days later, butterflies and moths are visiting frequently.

Here is a hummingbird moth which visited this morning. One pic as it comes into land, and one with its proboscis extended into the flower while it hovers. :smile: :cool:

Attachments

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Integral said:
Saw this guy buzzing around the back-yard, thought I'd share him with you.
And all you could come up with was a dumb BUMBLE-BEE! :grumpy:

Evo

Mentor
Astronuc said:
Here is a hummingbird moth which visited this morning. One pic as it comes into land, and one with its proboscis extended into the flower while it hovers. :smile: :cool:
Incredible pictures Astronuc.