Who is This Busy Bee in My Backyard?

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
In summary, the busy bee in your backyard is most likely a female worker bee from a nearby hive. Worker bees are responsible for collecting pollen and nectar, and they can often be spotted darting from flower to flower. They play a vital role in pollination and the production of honey. While bees may seem busy and intimidating, they are docile creatures and will only sting if they feel threatened. It's important to appreciate and protect these busy bees, as they are essential to the balance and health of our ecosystem.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Saw this guy buzzing around the back yard, thought I'd share him with you.
http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/scenery/bee.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/scenery/bee2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think its a triffid photo

wolram said:
I think its a triffid photo
I don't see it spitting poison... and killing.

once, i saw a bee eat a hamburger. didn't know bees were carnivores.

I need some perspective. Is that a big bee or a small flower?

Can't you tell by the Volkswagen parked inside the flower?

In that case, maybe it's a Soviet spy plane disguised as a bee. :uhh:
Be careful, Integral. They may have discovered your underground lair.

Last edited:
That was a big bee, or actually a Bumble Bee. I guess it to be about 1.5 - 2 cm long. Like the end of your thumb.

Integral said:
That was a big bee, or actually a Bumble Bee. I guess it to be about 1.5 - 2 cm long. Like the end of your thumb.

Thats a big bee, more the size of a hornet.

I meant to post that's a terrific photo, don't know where triffid came from.

"Say, was you ever bit by a dead bee?"

-Eddie The Rummy
To Have and Have Not

wolram said:
Thats a blimp made to look like a bee
A spy blimp?

Jelfish said:
Can't you tell by the Volkswagen parked inside the flower?

Nicely done.

Integral, your camera does a really beautiful job at creating figure/ground focal contrast.

Well, since you insisted...

http://img321.echo.cx/img321/4392/pf6do.jpg

Nice gladioli there too! :biggrin: Beautiful pictures. :approve:

That is a big bee!

Moonbear said:
Nice gladioli there too! :biggrin: Beautiful pictures. :approve:
I was thinking the same thing.

I took a picture of a bumblebee recently on some vetch. Really pretty.

When the mums flower, we have lots to bees and I like to sit for a while and watch them. When I was a teenager, I used to watch bees in flowering tree in the backyard. The tree had very beautiful pink flowers, which really looked nice against a deep blue sky or with white puffy clouds.

Which reminds me, I used to lie in the backyard, while wearing dark (sun) glasses, and stare at the clouds passing over. It was especially cool to watch billowing clouds changing form rapidly. :smile:

I still occasionally watch the sky, and clouds, and I love to watch sunsets. :cool: :smile:

mattmns said:
That is a big bee!

There was an even bigger one... We haven't seen Integral since...

http://img106.echo.cx/img106/5947/flyingbob22cw.jpg

After seeing these pictures, I was out in the yard enjoying my own flower garden, and sat watching the big bumble bees climbing on the flowers. Too bad I can't remember what I planted to tell you what type of flowers they were (I planted a lot of random seeds I had lying around that never made it into gardens before and mixed them with a variety pack for naturalizing), but the bee was quite covered in pollen. :biggrin: (Oh, my lilies have bloomed too, at least two blooms have opened...good, I can enjoy them before I leave...usually everything in my garden decides to bloom while I'm at summer conferences and I leave when there are buds forming and return to find brown flowers on the ground...the lilies are wonderfully fragrant! I snipped off one blossom and put it in a small vase in my bedroom; very relaxing).

Astronuc said:
Which reminds me, I used to lie in the backyard, while wearing dark (sun) glasses, and stare at the clouds passing over. It was especially cool to watch billowing clouds changing form rapidly. :smile:

I still occasionally watch the sky, and clouds, and I love to watch sunsets. :cool: :smile:
I have a fascination with clouds too. I especially enjoy the wonderful colors they take on around sunset and sunrise and the way the sunlight plays with them. They can show some very interesting contrast and texture. Some mornings the clouds roll in from the beach very quickly. I loved to watch them rush by, fading in and out. Ah, I need to start taking pictures again. :biggrin: Are there any other cloud lovers around here?

Moonbear said:
I snipped off one blossom and put it in a small vase in my bedroom; very relaxing).
The very concept of you wanting something 'relaxing' in your bedroom astounds me. Does this mean that I've been assembling my arsenal for nothing? :frown:

I love to watch nature - including clouds, during the day, at sunrise and at sunset. :smile:

I also look at flowers (and we have been planted several around the property) and watch the insects. Recently we planted some 'butterfly bushes' and a few days later, butterflies and moths are visiting frequently.

Here is a hummingbird moth which visited this morning. One pic as it comes into land, and one with its proboscis extended into the flower while it hovers. :smile: :cool:

Attachments

• Hummingbird Moth-1b.JPG
    Hummingbird Moth-1b.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 372
  • Hummingbird Moth-6.jpg
    Hummingbird Moth-6.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 374
Integral said:
Saw this guy buzzing around the back-yard, thought I'd share him with you.
And all you could come up with was a dumb BUMBLE-BEE! :grumpy:

Astronuc said:
Here is a hummingbird moth which visited this morning. One pic as it comes into land, and one with its proboscis extended into the flower while it hovers. :smile: :cool:
Incredible pictures Astronuc.

Thanks, Evo. :smile: The pics were taken with a Kodak Easyshare DX6490 set for action pics. I posted additional photos of the moth and a Swallowtail butterfly on E-S.

http://www.everything-science.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=82&topic=6249.0

and

http://www.everything-science.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=82&topic=6250.0

I'll probably need to buy some more space at PF. :biggrin:

Talk about one upsmanship! :grumpy:

Nice shots Astronuc! I like that butterfly on the other forum especially well. :smile:

Thanks, Integral. I got the inspiration from you. :smile:

I lucked out in getting the moth and butterfly. It's a matter of looking out the window and running like h . . . when I see something. It also helps to have lots of flowers nearby.

Astronuc said:
Thanks, Integral. I got the inspiration from you. :smile:

I lucked out in getting the moth and butterfly. It's a matter of looking out the window and running like h . . . when I see something. It also helps to have lots of flowers nearby.
LOL! I know what you mean, I saw the bee, dropped everything and dashed into the house to get the camera. My wife and daughter then watched in puzzlement as I rolled around on the ground, looking for the picture. They still question my sanity :rofl:

My wife posts on one of the other forums in nature.gardenweb.net :smile:

I was banned from Gardenweb. Can you believe it?

You see, they have a policy that you can't ask for free seeds on the seed exchange.

It occurred to me, that gardeners are happy to send free seeds to other gardeners. I have about a cup of arugula seeds at the moment, you want some? Also just harvested 2 pounds of pinto beans. Want some of those?

BUT! If a cheat comes along and says "I have (rare X, Y, and Z) seeds, what wil you trade for them?" I would be likely to trade my rare Passiflora or some such seeds for them, and end up screwed when the other end of the trade fell through.

I posted to this effect, suggesting it would be better to allow people to ask for free seeds. I was banned by Spike for planting the idea of how to cheat, into the community.

Well, LOL, ,guess I showed him since we have Gardenwebbers here. That's how you cheat. See, I don't think the average person would *want* to cheat. Most gardeners are honest.

Anywho, our eight year old today saw a bumblebee on our Black-eyed Susans, and asked about it. Love those Bumblebees. We also saw a monarch laying on the milkweed last week, and have a baby monarch caterpillar even as I type. We have watched the first brood of Gulf Fritillaries eclose, and the second brood are growing nicely. Though their numbers seem to drop ---- I expect they aren't as poisonous to the birds as the books would have you believe.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Those are moths! Wow, you sure do have cool bugs where you live. :biggrin:

pattylou said:
I was banned from Gardenweb. Can you believe it?

You see, they have a policy that you can't ask for free seeds on the seed exchange.

BUT! If a cheat comes along and says "I have (rare X, Y, and Z) seeds, what wil you trade for them?" I would be likely to trade my rare Passiflora or some such seeds for them, and end up screwed when the other end of the trade fell through.

I posted to this effect, suggesting it would be better to allow people to ask for free seeds. I was banned by Spike for planting the idea of how to cheat, into the community.
Apparently, there is a new administrator - or at least that what my wife told me. She has found the Gardenweb to be a great source of information. You could perhaps try being a member again.

pattylou, I think GW went overboard in your case. You kind of stated the obvious. :rolleyes:

Integral said:
http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/scenery/bee.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/scenery/bee2.JPG
[/URL]
Having ungrumped myself, I'd say these are great photos!

Has anyone else noticed that if a wasp errs its way into your house, it has no problems finding its way out, but that a bumble-bee will mill about, unable to find its way out again?

Of course, I happily murder any wasp that I am able to kill, but NEVER a bumble-bee!

To kill a bumble-bee is an act of sacrilege, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: