Beer-lambert law and UV absorption spectroscopy.

In summary: You can convert mol m^-3 to Pa using the Avogadro constant (6.022*10^23 mol^-1) as follows: [OH] (mol m^-3) * (6.022*10^23 mol^-1) * (8.314 J mol^-1 K^-1) * (298 K) = P (Pa).
Matt15
In a flash photolysis experiment, the time dependant concentration of [OH] was measured by UV absorption spectroscopy at around 308 nm, where the effective molecular absorption cross section σ = 4.13*10^-16 cm^2.

Using the beer lamber law calculate the concentration (number density) of OH radicals if 10% of the initial UV light is absorped at a path length of 10cm

Convert the OH conentration into mol m^-3, what is the corresponding partial pressure in Pa at room temperature

Homework Equations

I = I₀exp(-σ[OH] l)

A = ln(I₀/I) = σ[OH] l

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty much clueless how to go about solving this one. If I₀ is the incident intensity, would that be 100% ? and if so would that make I = 90%. If that were the case then [OH] = ln(100/90)/σ * l

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
.Yes, I₀ would be 100% and I would be 90%. You are correct that the concentration of OH radicals can be calculated using the Beer-Lambert Law as follows: [OH] = ln(I₀/I) / (σ*l), where l is the path length (10 cm in this case). The units of [OH] will be mol m^-3. To calculate the partial pressure of OH at room temperature, you need to use the ideal gas law: P = nRT/V, where n is the number of moles of OH, R is the gas constant (8.314 J mol^-1 K^-1), T is the temperature (in Kelvin) and V is the volume.

1. What is the Beer-Lambert Law?

The Beer-Lambert Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the concentration of a substance in a solution and the amount of light absorbed by that solution. It states that the absorbance of a solution is directly proportional to the concentration of the absorbing substance and the path length of the light through the solution.

2. Why is the Beer-Lambert Law important in UV absorption spectroscopy?

The Beer-Lambert Law is important in UV absorption spectroscopy because it allows us to quantitatively determine the concentration of a substance in a solution by measuring the absorbance of light at a specific wavelength. This is especially useful in studying the absorption of UV light, which can provide information about the structure and composition of molecules.

3. How is the Beer-Lambert Law used in UV absorption spectroscopy?

In UV absorption spectroscopy, the Beer-Lambert Law is used to calculate the concentration of a substance in a solution by measuring the absorbance of light at a specific wavelength. The equation for the Beer-Lambert Law is A = εcl, where A is absorbance, ε is the molar absorptivity (a constant unique to each substance), c is the concentration, and l is the path length of the light through the solution.

4. What are some limitations of the Beer-Lambert Law in UV absorption spectroscopy?

One limitation of the Beer-Lambert Law in UV absorption spectroscopy is that it assumes a linear relationship between absorbance and concentration, which may not always hold true for highly concentrated solutions. Additionally, it assumes that the absorbing substance is evenly distributed throughout the solution, which may not be the case in some solutions.

5. How can the Beer-Lambert Law be used in other fields of science?

The Beer-Lambert Law can be applied in various fields of science, such as chemistry, biochemistry, and environmental science. It is commonly used in analytical chemistry to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution. It is also used in pharmaceutical research to measure the concentration of drugs in biological samples. Additionally, the Beer-Lambert Law is used in environmental science to monitor the concentration of pollutants in air and water samples.