1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beer mug 2D problem

1. Feb 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a local bar, a customer slides an empty beer mug down the counter for a refill. The bartender is momentarily distracted and does not see the mug, which slides off the counter and strikes the floor 0.40 m from the base of the counter. The height of the counter is 0.730 m.
    (a) With what velocity did the mug leave the counter?
    (b) What was the direction of the mug's velocity just before it hit the floor?

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part A: I calculated the time it took for the beer mug to hit to floor vertically. Vyf-Vyi/g = t
    for time i got .287 and so i did displacement/time= velocity which is:
    .40/.287 to get 1.4 which is wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

How did you get Vyf?

4. Feb 27, 2010 #3
    i did Vyf^2 = Vyi^2 +2a(yf-yi)
    that is squaring the initial velocity of Y which is zero and adding 2(accelaration)(0-.730)

5. Feb 27, 2010 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

In that case, you just made a calculation error. Try calculating again; t isn't 0.287 s.

6. Feb 27, 2010 #5
    thank you, i got the right answer. but isn't there a quicker way to do these types of problems?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook