1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beer Mug Angle

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1
    1. A bartender slides a beer mug at 1.50m/s towards a customer at the end of a frictionless bar that is 1.2m tall. the customer makes a grab for the mug and misses, and the mug sails of the end of the bar. What are the speed and direction of the mug at impact?

2. Vx=Vocosθ
    Vy=Vosinθ
    V=√Vx^2+Vy^2
    θ=tan-1(Vy/Vx)

3. The correct answer apparantly is 5.08m/s and θ=-72.8°. I didn't get that...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2012 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equations you give are OK to find the speed and direction, but you need some more equations to find Vx and Vy when the mug hits the floor.

4. Jan 2, 2012 #3
    I don't know how to solve the problem with the equations I do have though...

5. Jan 2, 2012 #4
    How do you think vx and the sliding velocity compare?

Think about it, don't try use the equations!

6. Jan 2, 2012 #5
    I know I need to find Vf for the speed when the mug hits the floor. And then direction idk

7. Jan 3, 2012 #6
    Well, start with the x-component of v_f. What will that be?

Remember there's no friction whilst the mug is sliding, and I assume there is no air resistance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook