Beer or Soda?

1. Serious question. I drink a beer once a day, usually in the afternoon. Sometimes two. I know that most people drink at least one soda a day. Which is worse for you? I think drinking a soda a day is has got to be much worse for you considering it has lots of acid, and sugar.

Also, beer doesnt have nasty chemicals in it like soda does. I've tried many different beers (probably over 50, and going up), but I like a simple Budweiser in a bottle. I'm drinking on right now and boy does it hit the spot.

I used to be a hugeeeeeeeeeee soda addict. But I got tired of all that sugar. I really enjoy a good cold pepsi with ice cubes. But now I find myself wanting beer more than soda. I don't like the way soda is so harsh on my teeth. The acid destroys the enamel.

Which one is worse?

2. jcsd
  3. I just spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday out on four wheelers drinking about 25 beers a day and I've got to say a soda sounds much preferable today.

4. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Alcoholics

5. Last night I had a red bull. They don't keep me wired up like coffee does, but I couldn't sleep until 4am. Which isnt too bad, considering with nothing I usually go to bed around 3:30 easily (Im a night person). But when I woke up my head felt swollen - like I had to move my head side to side fast like a dog does. I think I'm going to have to stop drinking Red bull. I gave up coffee because at one point I was drinking coffee and red bull and that cafine really made by body crash. The more and more I drank it the more and more tired I became. After about 3 days of drinking caffine I just stopped and had much more energy the next day.

I think I'm done with Coffee (except rare occasions), Red Bull (I like the taste though!), and soda (for the most part). I'm sticking with beer.

6. This thread is for real men, not boys.

BTW: Alcoholic means a dependency on alcohol.

7. Pessimist. Which one is BETTER!!

8. Real man of geniusssssss.

9. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus 2,273
    Homework Helper

I never drink redbull or coffee. Try to keep those drinks to a minimum. They are not good.

Soda is also an awful drink for your body, avoid it. You can do it at most once or twice a week.

Beer every day?, You should stop that, too. Alcohol everyday is not recommended. You can search about this.

Keep the beer and other alcohol beverages for the fridays and weekends, or special events.

10. Why? I didn't say I binge on beer every day.

11. You can definitely also search one alcoholic beverage a day. Im talking about just one, not binge drinking daily.

12. drizzle

drizzle 535
    Gold Member

I used to drink soda on a daily basis but I thankfully change to beer, I think it’s much better than soda, I like pomegranate or apple flavored beer [non alcoholic:biggrin:]…man so refreshing especially when cooled enough almost freezed :tongue2:

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  13. Considering most soda today is sweetened with a chemical concoction of sweetner, and that beer only has sugar for a short time during brewing to supply the yeast with energy to produce the alcohol content --- I would say that beer is better. But if you look at the front end of my car I should have drank a soda instead.

14. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus 2,273
    Homework Helper

Yes this is fine, but it depends largely on your diet and the amount of beer taken.

Cyrus, it's fine, as long as one beer per day doesn't mean a jar... :rofl:

15. Don't go too crazy

16. cristo

cristo 8,412
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Wow, you're way cool, bragging about drink-driving :rolleyes:

As for the OP, I think I agree with you, Cyrus, in that a beer a day is better for you than a soda a day. It's also much nicer: a cold beer after a long day's work is delicious!

17. My main point was that most people would say "oh, don't drink a beer a day!" without ever stopping to realize how bad drinking all that soda is. I wonder how the nutritional value of the two compare?

18. I hope you also had lots of spicey/smoked barbecue?

19. Given your specification of moderate alcohol consumption, soda is worse because you don't need to control the quantity. I normally drink 1/2 to 1 gallon of water per day and could easily drink 2+ liters of soda if alternatively available...not possible (and work) with beer.

20. mgb_phys

mgb_phys 8,952
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Some would argue about that

Beer contains no fat
    Beer is low in sugar.
    Beer is a source of soluble fiber which is derived from the cell walls of malted barley. A liter of beer contains an average of 20% of the recommended daily intake of fiber and some beers can provide up to 60%.
    Beer has no cholesterol.
    Beer contains significant amounts of magnesium, selenium, potassium, phosphorus, biotin, and is chock full of B vitamins.
    Beer has about 150 calories in 12oz
    (from the campaign for real ale)

It's practically a health food

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?