Beer vs. Soda: Which is Worse for Your Health?

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beer
In summary, beer is better than soda for your body because it doesn't have nasties in it like soda does and it doesn't dehydrate you like soda can.
Samuel Smith's ales, porters and stouts are among my favorite beers, along with Guinness Stout and Chimay Red Trappiste Ale (Blue's OK too).

Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc drinks the manly beers. I drink the kiddie hefewiezens and lagers. :biggrin:

Cyrus said:
Astronuc drinks the manly beers. I drink the kiddie hefewiezens and lagers. :biggrin:

And apple juice with cute critters on the label.

Moonbear said:
...mornings were VERY quiet until everyone got their coffee (we stopped at one B&B for a dinner and breakfast and at dinner they asked how many people would drink decaf in the morning so they had an idea how much to make, and NOBODY raised their hand).

Coffee, on the other hand, is a completely different story. My blood pressure registers "might have been dead for a week" low until my first cup of coffee.

dilbert_decaf.gif

TheStatutoryApe said:
And apple juice with cute critters on the label.

Hey man, those wood chucks are good. Don't knock it, you know you like it too baby.

BobG said:
Coffee, on the other hand, is a completely different story. My blood pressure registers "might have been dead for a week" low until my first cup of coffee.

dilbert_decaf.gif

Its funny because this goes at the heart of my point. People always talk about beer with the caviat, "don't drink too much", yet they binge on soda and coffee like there's no tomorrow. Sure, you won't get drunk on coffee, but caffine in excess is really not good for you. People are dependent on coffee like alcoholic are to beer. No coffee = head ache.

Yesterday I had a leinenkugel summer shandy. I thought it was o.k., but not great. I didn't like that strong citris taste to it.

2725518300_34a91bd4cd.jpg

Right now I'm having an polish Okocim, full pale.

IMG_1504.JPG

its not bad.

OK, guys, most of you know that I'm a microbiologist and a brewer, I became a brewer of necessity (I was originally a dairy scientist) during my celibate sojourn in Saudi Arabia when the only way of acquiring an alcoholic beverage was to create it from first principles. Fortunately, all of the raw materials were easy to acquire and with some minor innovations (related to avoiding being caught and then deported and preventing the incursion of undesirable microbes) reasonable beverages could be produced. I now live in an area where there is excellent access to every type of beer from Belgian to pilsner and weissbier and it has been said that I will quaff any thing without discrimination. In the extremely civilised country where I currently reside I have seen no better example of sophistication that to be offered free beer on completion of a 10 km run. Now that's what I call class. Now, I'm sure when I started this diatribe I had an important point to make but I have no idea what it was. But keep drinking beer. In any of its presentations. Slainte maith!

Todays my beer is from ethiopia. Harar Beer. A very unique taste and unfiltered! A cross between a heffeweizen and lager/pale ale.

2289304934_c82232890b.jpg

Last edited:
You must have a great store near you that you can buy just one beer at a time, and can choose from such a great variety to try. Especially when trying something entirely unfamiliar, it would be nice to be able to get just one bottle and not buy a whole 6-pack in case it turns out to be nasty.

Moonbear said:
You must have a great store near you that you can buy just one beer at a time, and can choose from such a great variety to try. Especially when trying something entirely unfamiliar, it would be nice to be able to get just one bottle and not buy a whole 6-pack in case it turns out to be nasty.

Yeah, I own it. :rofl: Thats exactly why I hate (and never buy) 6 packs of anything. If I don't sell it, I try to find the singles at another store near me that does have it. (Plus I pay prices far below what customers can get it for). We only sell 6 packs of this one, so I had to buy the single from another store. I didnt want to ruin a 6 pack just to try one. This one cost me $3.15 for the single at the store near my house, so I Know he probably made a good $1.50 profit on it. (I sell over 400 different beers). If you'd like to try one let me know.

You own a store? I had no idea! You're quite diversified...beer seller, helicopter painter...:biggrin:

You're in charge of the beer at the next PF gathering. :wink:

Moonbear said:
You own a store? I had no idea! You're quite diversified...beer seller, helicopter painter...:biggrin:

You're in charge of the beer at the next PF gathering. :wink:

Trust me, boxes of beer and wine are heavy. You don't want to stock shelves all day long. :yuck: It makes me all the happier to do equations afterwards. I don't carry the cases anymore. I just open them and carry the 6 packs two by two instead. A case isn't heavy. Carrying cassings all day long adds up to a sore back by the time the days over.

Don't go for a soda, because "Too much cola zaps muscle power,"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8056028.stm.

Go for a soda, because

"Might as well go for a soda...Nobody hurts and nobody cries
Might as well go for a soda...Nobody drowns and nobody dies,"

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:
Yesterday I had a leinenkugel summer shandy. I thought it was o.k., but not great. I didn't like that strong citris taste to it.

2725518300_34a91bd4cd.jpg

http://www.leinie.com/red.html is good. Ironically, I first drank that in Italy. Italian beer sucks, but you usually have access to quite a few good foreign beers. We were kind of surprised to find out Leinenkugel's is actually brewed in Wisconsin (in fact, they own the original Blatz brewery :yuck:).

Cyrus said:
Yeah, I own it. :rofl: ... If you'd like to try one let me know.
Wow. That's outstanding Cyrus. Should we PM you for orders? I want to try them all.

dlgoff said:
Wow. That's outstanding Cyrus. Should we PM you for orders? I want to try them all.

Sorry, that's illegal. Cant sell out of state.

I see how you are. Build me up just to let me down. Maybe I'll drive to your place. :)

Cyrus said:
Yesterday I had this:

http://blogs.eveningsun.com/troublebrewing/samsmit.jpg

That's my personal favorite.

BTW, I drink about 1/3 of a beer every couple of weeks or so.

Everyone has favorites.
Best recent beer... fat tire
Worst ever... carlsberg elephant
Either way one of each will do.

Todays beer(s) are:

http://blogs.eveningsun.com/troublebrewing/clipper_city_winter_storm.jpg

At first, it tastes like the skullsplitter beer I showed earlier, but I really don't like the taste of this. I'm going to pour it down the sink and try something else. :yuck: I generally don't like these dark red beers.

They should rename this the "Cyrus's Beer of the Day Thread". :smile:

Cyrus said:
Sorry, that's illegal. Cant sell out of state.

How about if I just buy the box and you send the beer as a gift with it? :biggrin:

It's legal for me to buy out of state...well, wine and hard liquor anyway...this state gets weird with the beer laws. I can get moonshine more easily than some beers. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
I can get moonshine more easily than some beers. :rolleyes:

Do they only allow Budweiser and Pabst or something?

TheStatutoryApe said:
Do they only allow Budweiser and Pabst or something?

I think the cutoff is somewhere around 6% alcohol. You can get some decent beers, but some of the darker, stronger ones can't be sold here. If the limitation just applied to grocery store sales, that might make sense to me, but even the stores licensed to sell hard liquor can't sell stronger beer. I don't understand the rationale, if there is any, for that cutoff, since wine and hard liquor are both higher alcohol percentages.

Moonbear said:
I think the cutoff is somewhere around 6% alcohol. You can get some decent beers, but some of the darker, stronger ones can't be sold here. If the limitation just applied to grocery store sales, that might make sense to me, but even the stores licensed to sell hard liquor can't sell stronger beer. I don't understand the rationale, if there is any, for that cutoff, since wine and hard liquor are both higher alcohol percentages.

What a weird law! I take it that means you can't buy 'beer' like http://gk007a0336.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/carls.htm. Whatever would the tramps drink?

Moonbear said:
I guess that's a British-ism?

Hmm, it must be. Ahh well, I'd be quite happy if they outlawed the sale of that stuff. I see tramps on buses at 9ish in the morning drinking that super strength lager.. it's really pretty disgusting!

cristo said:
Hmm, it must be. Ahh well, I'd be quite happy if they outlawed the sale of that stuff. I see tramps on buses at 9ish in the morning drinking that super strength lager.. it's really pretty disgusting!

No "tramp" around here could afford the super-strength stuff. It usually is far more expensive than regular beers, so not exactly the choice of alcoholics or underage drinkers...they usually go for the cheap Bud and similar beer that can be bought by the case for what a bottle or 6-pack of the stronger beers costs.

Moonbear said:
No "tramp" around here could afford the super-strength stuff. It usually is far more expensive than regular beers, so not exactly the choice of alcoholics or underage drinkers...they usually go for the cheap Bud and similar beer that can be bought by the case for what a bottle or 6-pack of the stronger beers costs.

Around here they call it malt liquor. There's King Cobra, Colt 45, Old English, Steel Reserve, Mickey's, ect. I don't like lagers so I have never tried any of them myself but you usually see these and a bunch of other similar brands in the liquor stores around here.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Around here they call it malt liquor.

Oh, I didn't know those were so high in alcohol. I thought they were just large in volume. I've never even been tempted to try one of those, so don't know what they're like. But, I think I've seen those in stores around here...maybe because they call it malt liquor instead of beer, they can get away with it, which makes the law even more stupid!

Moonbear said:
Oh, I didn't know those were so high in alcohol. I thought they were just large in volume. I've never even been tempted to try one of those, so don't know what they're like. But, I think I've seen those in stores around here...maybe because they call it malt liquor instead of beer, they can get away with it, which makes the law even more stupid!

There might be strange little loop holes or something. Around here lately bars that only have a beer and wine license are starting to make cocktails with soju, korean rice wine, which is like a weak vodka but technically still wine.

The county I live in is like the Mafia. Basically, only the county can sell liquor. So if you want to go to a liquor store, it's owned by the county. Private businesses can only sell beer and wine, and they have to purchase it through the county. In fact, I think resturants do too. So the county makes a lottttttttttttt of money from alcohol sales. Also, the county stores sell rock bottom prices because any store owner has to buy it from them and then mark up the price to make a profit. It makes no sense, and we need some good (not crazy religious) republicans to change that around there.

I'd def. be a republican if they weren't so religious nutty.

http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/photos/ayingerbrauweisse.jpg

Today was a heffe weizen from germany. Very good beer, really enjoyed this one. I had two really nasty IPAs the other day that ended up down the sink again. I really hate dark red beers. :yuck:

This one is good :approve: