Beer or Soda?

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
Ok, in all seriousness, I am finding this discussion a bit hard to believe. Personally I am a diet soda addict. It's not good for me, I know, etc. etc. However, as of yet, it has not produced any noticeable health problems other then likely caffeine dependence.
If I drank the same quantity of beer that i did soda, I can't imagine that I could be remotely functional.
People have been drinking booze of one type or another as a primary beverage for a very long time, perhaps not to their health or state of mind, but... it was better than fouled waters. Now we have all the water we could wish for, and we turn it into acidic crapola.

Danger
Gold Member
I have, just today, discovered a new favourite beverage: Scotch and Dr. Pepper.
I'm about 1/2 way through a 26er of the good stuff and almost completely through a 2-litre bottle of pop. My regret is that I dulled my tastebuds with a half-sack of Lucky before that.
I won't begin to burden you with details of that kind of **** that I was into before I quit drinking... :bugeye:

Scotch and Dr. Pepper... I love Dr. Pepper, but I had a bad experience with scotch the first time I ever drank and I cannot stand the stuff, the smell, or anything about it. I suppose it's no less vile than red bull and vodka. I have to ask, what is "a half-sack of Lucky"?

I have, just today, discovered a new favourite beverage: Scotch and Dr. Pepper.
Yes! (In my best Marv Albert voice). I normally don't drink Dr. Pepper by itself, even though it is a good tasting drink, but it's great with scotch - even the cheap stuff.

I have to ask, what is "a half-sack of Lucky"?
I'm guessing he means http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Lager" [Broken] (the spelling of 'favourite' makes me think he is Canadian)

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger
Gold Member
You are correct about the reference to Lucky, V8. It quite surprised me a couple of years ago to learn that it's considered a 'premium' beer in some parts of the US. I drink it because it and Brewhouse are absolutely the cheapest brews that you can get in my area ($7.50 for a half-sack at my local store), and Lucky tastes far better than the alternative. (There are actually a couple of cheaper ones such as Big Bear and Colt .45, but they're available only in 1.14 litre bottles and taste like they've been filtered through a moose, so they don't count.) A half-sack is what Yanks would refer to as a 6-pack.
I had to Google Marve Albert. Now I know who he is, but still have no idea of what he sounds like.
My first choice in scotches is Ballantine's, but Famous Grouse, Queen Anne's and Claymore are pretty much identical to it. Last week I bought a 1/2 litre bottle of Dr. Pepper along with my usual stockpile of Coke Zero just to satisfy my curiosity as to what the hell it tastes like, fully expecting to hate it. Surprise! The taste is quite similar to Cream Soda. Pepper and scotch together taste like amaretto.

Hmmmm, I love amaretto, especially a good amaretto sour. Maybe I should suck it up and try this. Thanks for the info on Lucky too, I was completely clueless on that one. If you want another interesting experience, try (in VERY SMALL QUANTITIES) chocolate cake shots. It is simply about 85-90% vodka in a shot glass, with some Frangelico. You slug it down in one go, and then bite into a lemon slice that has been coated in sugar. Don't ask me how a flavorless liquor, hazelnut and lemon taste like chocolate cake, but by god it does.

I haven't done a shot in ages, but when it comes to alcohol tasting like things it isn't, this leaped to mind.

alt
Gold Member
Serious question. I drink a beer once a day, usually in the afternoon. Sometimes two. I know that most people drink at least one soda a day. Which is worse for you? I think drinking a soda a day is has got to be much worse for you considering it has lots of acid, and sugar.

Also, beer doesnt have nasty chemicals in it like soda does. I've tried many different beers (probably over 50, and going up), but I like a simple Budweiser in a bottle. I'm drinking on right now and boy does it hit the spot.

I used to be a hugeeeeeeeeeee soda addict. But I got tired of all that sugar. I really enjoy a good cold pepsi with ice cubes. But now I find myself wanting beer more than soda. I don't like the way soda is so harsh on my teeth. The acid destroys the enamel.

Which one is worse?
I'm with you - word for word !

Wife, who is a natural therapist, also tell me the hops in beer are good for you. Haven't done me any harm at all.

OTOH, soda - a disaster for teeth, waistline, etc.

You are correct about the reference to Lucky, V8. It quite surprised me a couple of years ago to learn that it's considered a 'premium' beer in some parts of the US. I drink it because it and Brewhouse are absolutely the cheapest brews that you can get in my area ($7.50 for a half-sack at my local store), and Lucky tastes far better than the alternative. (There are actually a couple of cheaper ones such as Big Bear and Colt .45, but they're available only in 1.14 litre bottles and taste like they've been filtered through a moose, so they don't count.) A half-sack is what Yanks would refer to as a 6-pack.
Major brand beer in the states is utter piss. Just about anything imported is pretty much considered 'premium' as well as anything other than the typical watered down urine that Budweiser et al put out. When the major brand breweries come out with some 'special' seasonal brew of stinky cat piss ale they call that 'premium' too.

turbo
Gold Member
Major brand beer in the states is utter piss. Just about anything imported is pretty much considered 'premium' as well as anything other than the typical watered down urine that Budweiser et al put out. When the major brand breweries come out with some 'special' seasonal brew of stinky cat piss ale they call that 'premium' too.
Yep. Mostly watery crap. For low-end beer, Molson Golden is OK bang for the buck. Becks and Heineken are pretty good imports, as is Guiness (not the draft kind), but the real good beers come out of micro-breweries. We have a local brewery (Oak Pond) that comes out with some really nice ales, lagers, etc.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yep. Mostly watery crap. For low-end beer, Molson Golden is OK bang for the buck. Becks and Heineken are pretty good imports, as is Guiness (not the draft kind), but the real good beers come out of micro-breweries. We have a local brewery (Oak Pond) that comes out with some really nice ales, lagers, etc.
You know? I still have found any Molson Golden yet.

Here's the brews from my local brewery; http://freestatebrewing.com/beer" [Broken].

I like the Wheat State Golden.

turbo
Gold Member
You know? I still have found any Molson Golden yet.

Here's the brews from my local brewery; http://freestatebrewing.com/beer" [Broken].

I like the Wheat State Golden.
That's the way it gets done here. Growlers are the best option. Decent ales don't last long enough to go flat anyway.