Beer story

This story surprisingly puzzles some people:

Eleven friends go into a beer hall. Six of them sit at table A and five of them sit at table B. Each of the eleven orders one round for his own table. Now table A has more payers, but a person at table A ends up paying more than a person at table B.

???
 
972
1
The guys at table A ordered more expensive drinks, where's the brain teaser?
 

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,948
130
Chen said:
The guys at table A ordered more expensive drinks, where's the brain teaser?
NO!
The guys on B run off from the bill.

Another is that the waiter didn't catch the order from the guys around B, and, in frustration, they left to see "Van Helsing" instead.
 

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
6,987
14
quartodeciman said:
This story surprisingly puzzles some people:

Eleven friends go into a beer hall. Six of them sit at table A and five of them sit at table B. Each of the eleven orders one round for his own table. Now table A has more payers, but a person at table A ends up paying more than a person at table B.

???
Sure, why shouldn't he. Each guy on table A pays for 6 drinks while each dude at B pays for only 5.

This is true if all drinks cost the same and the waiter was a patient, vampire fearing man.

Whassamattah ?
 
People who fail this test end up hopeless drunks.

(What seems to throw some people off is that table A is consuming more beer than table B)
:smile:
 

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,948
130
Oh dear..
(Besides, "Van Helsing" was an atrociously bad movie..)
 

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,349
51
Gokul43201 said:
Sure, why shouldn't he. Each guy on table A pays for 6 drinks while each dude at B pays for only 5.

This is true if all drinks cost the same and the waiter was a patient, vampire fearing man.

Whassamattah ?
That's why a wise person buys a pitcher for a group, not individual drinks :biggrin:
 

Njorl

Science Advisor
245
10
Table A people all pay more, but also get more beer.

Table A people buy 6 beers and drink 6 beers.

Table B people buy 5 beers and drink 5 beers.

Very easy if you haven't been drinking a lot.

Njorl
 
it is really strange how come so many people here are stupid enough to not be able to solve this problem.
 
I suspect that many people at first assume (without warrant) that the two table-fulls are somehow ordering and drinking in complete synchrony.

It is probably important to emphasize that table A has more payers (without drawing attention to more drinks ordered) to pull this puzzle off.
 

Related Threads for: Beer story

  • Posted
2
Replies
48
Views
9K
  • Posted
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Posted
Replies
22
Views
5K
  • Posted
Replies
20
Views
5K
  • Posted
5 6 7
Replies
160
Views
29K

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads

Top