1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beer's Law Question

1. Aug 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If I measure an absorbance at 560nm of 0.80 absorbance units for a solution of the basic form of phenolphthalein, what is the concentration of phenolphthalein?

2. Relevant equations
    Beer's Law -- A(sub lamda)=e*b*c

3. The attempt at a solution

The question is asking for concentration, so I'll need to solve for c. I think A is the absorbance units, but beyond that I believe I'm missing information.

b is supposed to be the path length, which I believe is the width of whatever cuvet is being used (the problem doesn't specify what that is). e is molar absorbtivity, but isn't that a constant?

Is this problem able to be solved as it is or do I need more information?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2010 #2

presbyope

Gold Member

Cuvet length is 1 cm by convention. Molar absorptivity is going to vary with temperature and pH as you can see here:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/ol016823q

Unfortunately they don't report a value for phenolphthalein but estimating from Fig. 6, e should be about 1770/(M.cm) at 20C and basic conditions.

4. Aug 28, 2010 #3
    Thank you for the reply. It seems there was no way to calculate an answer based on the question alone. I was worried I was missing something obvious.

I will ask my lab instructor about it next week.

5. Aug 28, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I agree 1 cm is a common cuvette size, but calling it a "convention" is too far fetched.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  6. Aug 28, 2010 #5

presbyope

Gold Member

Quite right, I stand corrected.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook