Solve Beer's Law: Find Phenolphthalein Concentration from 0.80 Absorbance Unit

• Thread starter TrueStar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the question is asking for the concentration of phenolphthalein given an absorbance reading of 0.80 at 560nm. To solve for concentration, the Beer's Law equation can be used, but more information is needed as the molar absorptivity value for phenolphthalein varies with temperature and pH. The width of the cuvette is typically 1 cm, but this is not a convention and may vary. Additional information or clarification may be needed from a lab instructor to solve this problem accurately.
TrueStar

Homework Statement

If I measure an absorbance at 560nm of 0.80 absorbance units for a solution of the basic form of phenolphthalein, what is the concentration of phenolphthalein?

Homework Equations

Beer's Law -- A(sub lamda)=e*b*c

The Attempt at a Solution

The question is asking for concentration, so I'll need to solve for c. I think A is the absorbance units, but beyond that I believe I'm missing information.

b is supposed to be the path length, which I believe is the width of whatever cuvet is being used (the problem doesn't specify what that is). e is molar absorbtivity, but isn't that a constant?

Is this problem able to be solved as it is or do I need more information?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
TrueStar said:
b is supposed to be the path length, which I believe is the width of whatever cuvet is being used (the problem doesn't specify what that is). e is molar absorbtivity, but isn't that a constant?

Cuvet length is 1 cm by convention. Molar absorptivity is going to vary with temperature and pH as you can see here:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/ol016823q

Unfortunately they don't report a value for phenolphthalein but estimating from Fig. 6, e should be about 1770/(M.cm) at 20C and basic conditions.

Thank you for the reply. It seems there was no way to calculate an answer based on the question alone. I was worried I was missing something obvious.

I will ask my lab instructor about it next week.

presbyope said:
Cuvet length is 1 cm by convention.

I agree 1 cm is a common cuvette size, but calling it a "convention" is too far fetched.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
I agree 1 cm is a common cuvette size, but calling it a "convention" is too far fetched.

Quite right, I stand corrected.

1. What is Beer's Law?

Beer's Law (also known as the Beer-Lambert Law) is a principle in chemistry that relates the concentration of a solution to the amount of light it absorbs. It states that the absorbance of a solution is directly proportional to its concentration and the path length of the light through the solution.

2. How is Beer's Law used to find the concentration of a solution?

In order to use Beer's Law to find the concentration of a solution, you need to first measure the absorbance of the solution using a spectrophotometer. Then, using the molar absorptivity (a constant for each substance) and the path length of the light through the solution, you can calculate the concentration of the solution.

3. Why is phenolphthalein used in this experiment?

Phenolphthalein is a commonly used indicator in chemistry that changes color in the presence of a base. In this experiment, it is used to determine the endpoint of a titration, which is when the solution changes from acidic to basic. This allows for a more accurate measurement of the concentration of the solution.

4. What is the significance of an absorbance unit?

Absorbance units (AU) are a measure of how much light is absorbed by a solution. It is a logarithmic scale, where an absorbance of 1.0 is equivalent to 90% of the light being absorbed. It is important in this experiment because it allows for a direct comparison between the amount of light absorbed and the concentration of the solution.

5. How can I ensure accurate results when using Beer's Law to find the concentration of a solution?

In order to ensure accurate results, it is important to use the correct path length for the light (typically 1 cm), measure the absorbance at the correct wavelength, and use a spectrophotometer that has been properly calibrated. It is also important to handle the solutions carefully and control for any factors that could affect the absorbance, such as air bubbles or impurities.