1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beer's Law

1. Jul 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi,

I've run into a problem and fear I'm just approaching from the wrong angle.

From Ebbing Experiments in General Chemistry 9e 14B if you have it to reference..

It's the classic Fe + SCN > Fe(SCN)

In our experiment we are using SCN as the limiting reactant and overwhelming amts of Fe so that the initial [SCN] should equal the final [Fe(SCN)] at equalibrium. We are using a spectophotometer to measure absorbance at 450nm

2. Relevant equations
    Our Keq is obtained by: [Fe(SCN)]/[Fe] [SCN] resulting in m=∑xy/∑x^2 ; K = 2.704 10^4

Our fist 5 series we varied [SCN] keeping [Fe] constant.

6-10 we varied [SCN] and keeping [Fe] to a different constant.

11-15 we varied [SCN] and keeping [Fe] to yet a different constant.

3. The attempt at a solution

So we have 3 constant [Fe].

Since the Keq = [Fe(SCN)]/[Fe] [SCN] and [Fe(SCN)] =[ SCN] the results should be 1/[Fe]...right?

[Fe] in 5-10 = 3.57E-4 ..... inv= 2.8E-3 so K = 2.8E-3
    [Fe] in 5-10 = 7.14E-4 ..... inv= 1.4E-3 so K = 1.4E-3

Using Beer's Law A=kc I have from for example #5 A=.216 (@450nm) K = 2.8E-3
    Solving for c [Fe(SCN)]? gives me 605 moles!

Subsequent equations yield equally baffling results (to me baffling!)

Via plotting data from the first 5 experiments in Excel and crunching number in a linear regression analysis formula:

Since m=∑xy/∑x^2; K = 2.704 10^4 so my k values are reasonable but the 605 moles is not! ...(is it?)

What am I not seeing here?

Perhaps I'm not grasping what the "c" in A=kc is for as I already know the Keq for [FE(SCN)] and in fact ALL my concentrations.....and A's and K's.........

Thanks
    Whalstib

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2010 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. Given the initial concentration of thiocyanate is equal to [SCNi], let x equal to the amount of [SCN] converted to [Fe(SCN)]. The concentration of thiocyanate in the equilibrium expression is therefore [SCNi-x] and the concentration of [Fe(SCN)] you measure is simply 'x'. Substitute these values into your equilibrium equation and solve for x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook