Beetle on a Pendulum Homework: Solving Displacement & Speed

• Thread starter Warmacblu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the beetle experiences a displacement of 115.9397 cm while moving through a swing of 43 degrees.
Warmacblu

Homework Statement

A beetle takes a joy ride on a pendulum. The string supporting the mass of the pendulum is 170 cm long.

A) If the beetle rides through a swing of 43 degrees, how far has he traveled along the path of the pendulum?

B) What is the displacement experienced by the beetle while moving through the same angle 43 degrees?

C) If the pendulum at some instant is swinging at 3.3 rad/s, how fast is the beetle traveling?

Homework Equations

theta = s/r

The Attempt at a Solution

A) 43/360 * (2pi * 170) = 127.584 cm - correct

B) s = r(theta)

s = 170 x 43(pi/180) = 127.584 cm - incorrect

C) theta = s/r

3.3 = s/170

s = 561 cm/s - correct

I don't know what I did wrong for part b. Perhaps I am supposed to multiply by pi/360?

Physics news on Phys.org
For displacement, imagine an arrow drawn from the starting position to the final position. What's the length of that arrow?

Doc Al said:
For displacement, imagine an arrow drawn from the starting position to the final position. What's the length of that arrow?

sin43 = x/170

x = sin43 x 170

x = 115.9397

I don't think its a right angle triangle. Maybe cosine rule? :smile:

I think it might be a right angle because we are taking the angle measurement from the rest position and if I draw and arrow to the right and connect the hypotenuse (170 cm) then the angle turns out to be 90 degrees on the bottom with a 43 degree angle on top.

Warmacblu said:
I think it might be a right angle because we are taking the angle measurement from the rest position and if I draw and arrow to the right and connect the hypotenuse (170 cm) then the angle turns out to be 90 degrees on the bottom with a 43 degree angle on top.
It's not a right triangle; it's an isoceles triangle with the long sides equal to the length of the string. Hint: Law of sines.

Doc Al said:
It's not a right triangle; it's an isoceles triangle with the long sides equal to the length of the string. Hint: Law of sines.

I looked up the law of sines and law of cosines and I think the law of cosines would be easier to use:

c2 = a2 + b2 – 2abcosC

c2 = 1702 + 1702 - 2*170*170*cos(43)

c = 124.6104

Does that seem okay.

Looks good.

Using the law of sines, it's just: 170/sin(68.5) = x/sin(43)

Doc Al said:
Looks good.

Using the law of sines, it's just: 170/sin(68.5) = x/sin(43)

Thanks for the help.

What is displacement?

Displacement is the change in position of an object from its original location to its final location. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (size) and direction.

How is displacement calculated?

Displacement is calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position. It can be represented mathematically as Δx = xf - xi, where Δx is displacement, xf is final position, and xi is initial position.

What is speed?

Speed is the rate at which an object moves. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude and no direction. It is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

How is speed calculated?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. It can be represented mathematically as v = d/t, where v is speed, d is distance, and t is time.

How are displacement and speed related?

Displacement and speed are related because displacement is a measure of the change in an object's position, while speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving. Displacement is a factor in calculating speed, as it is used to determine the distance traveled. Speed, in turn, can be used to calculate the average velocity of an object.