1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Before I attempt this next problem on sliding blocks

1. May 9, 2004 #1
    I'd like to make sure I understand it.
    It reads...
    "Two objects, A and B, are placed in contact with each other on a horizontal, frictionless surface. Object A weighs 1.5kg, and B weighs 2.5kg. If a force of 8.0N is exerted on the surface of object A in contact with B AND on the opposite surface, (1) determine the acceleration of A and B (2) determine the force pushing B."

Do you think this means 8.0N is applied to both objects A and B simultaneously?
    (I assume "opposite surface" means the side of A opposite to that contacting B.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I feel for you; I think the textbook writer is much too vague:

1)
    You write:
    I assume "opposite surface" means the side of A opposite to that contacting B

I also have that assumption..

2)
    We now come to the heart of the matter:
    Does there act a force on B equal to 8.0 N simultaneously with the force(s) acting on A?
    This will be true if we ASSUME that the force on A on the contact side, is in fact, generated by B (nothing else makes much sense, I think).
    Then, by Newton's 3.law, an equal, and opposite force acts upon B from A.

I believe this is what the problem writer is after..

4. May 9, 2004 #3
    Thanks again. Since the surface is frictionless this is what must be meant.

5. May 9, 2004 #4
    (1) its simply using F = ma, u are given F and m = the sum of the other 2

(2) i think for the second one you have to find the Force via F = ma again, however you have the acceleration and also the mass. not sure tho

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?