What prerequisites should I have before taking astrophysics?

In summary: This website searches a large number of used bookstores and compiles them into a list which you can arrange by prices. In summary, Nabeshin recommends that before taking astrophysics, one should take calculus-based physics I and II, differential equations, and chemistry. Additionally, she recommends reading an introduction to modern astrophysics, working their way through a physics textbook, and making an Amazon wish list.
HeLiXe
Before taking astrophysics...

The prerequisites for astrophysics at my school are calculus based physics I and II. This means I would be able to take it by next spring. The classes I would have completed by then are

Calculus I, II, and III
Differential Equations
Calculus based Physics I
Calculus based Physics II
Chemistry I and II

Classes I will be taking simultaneously are
Modern Physics w/lab
Mathematical Physics
Optics

From your experience, are there any additional classes you would recommend one to take before taking astrophysics?

Physics news on Phys.org

"Astrophysics" is a pretty broad term... there is no kind of standard. However, judging by the prerequisites only being calculus and introductory physics, I'd say it's just a standard introduction to stars and galaxies astronomy class. In which case, you probably don't need any other courses at all. As long as you understand calculus, astronomy classes are usually quite good about being self-contained.

Thanks so much Nabeshin. I think you are right. Here is the course description:
AST3217: Astrophysics I
Prerequisite: PHY 2049 with a minimum grade of B Co-requisite: PHY 3101 or permission of instructor This course is an upper-level introduction to Astrophysics. It presents the physical and mathematical treatment of the properties of the universe and the bodies within it, including the formation, structure, and evolution of stars, stellar nucleosynthesis, binary stars, white dwarfs, neutron stars, and black holes.

It might be a good idea if you took thermodynamics/stat mech. instead of optics. Astrophysics tends to be very heavy in thermodynamics.

hi guys, I'm new in Astrophysics, just started master is this field, I've done Bachelor in Physics. It's not easy for me, cause there's only me who knows nothing about astronomy, have lectures with second year masters.
I need ur advise from where to start, like what to read?

Get yourself a copy of 'An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics' by Carroll & Ostlie and start working your way through it. It covers almost all the material you'd get from an astronomy major at the upper level undergrad/beginning grad student level (in terms of physics and math background, not astronomy). It's expensive, but definitely worth it, a great all-around resource.

Thanks so much eri! I found one used that is really inexpensive!

Great! I paid $130 for mine. Physics books can really set you back - I suggest making an Amazon wish list for xmas and birthdays. That's how I get new textbooks; my family doesn't know what to buy me otherwise.

eri said:
Physics books can really set you back - I suggest making an Amazon wish list for xmas and birthdays.

I highly recommend http://www.bigwords.com/

It searches a large number of used bookstores and compiles them in a list which you can arrange by prices.

A warning: Read the descriptions on the selling website. You don't want a solution manual or an international edition showing up when you wanted the hardbound text.

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of science that combines physics and astronomy to study the properties and behavior of celestial objects, such as planets, stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole.

2. What are the prerequisites for studying astrophysics?

Before taking astrophysics, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. Knowledge of calculus, mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics is essential for understanding the principles and theories in astrophysics.

3. What topics are covered in an astrophysics course?

An astrophysics course typically covers topics such as stellar evolution, planetary systems, cosmology, and observational techniques. It also includes the study of various phenomena such as black holes, dark matter, and gravitational waves.

4. What skills are needed to study astrophysics?

To excel in astrophysics, one needs to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills. The ability to think critically and creatively is also crucial in understanding complex concepts and theories in astrophysics. Proficiency in computer programming and data analysis is also beneficial in this field of study.

5. What career opportunities are available in astrophysics?

Studying astrophysics can lead to various career paths, including research positions in universities, government agencies, and private companies. Other opportunities include science communication, data analysis, and space technology development. Astrophysics graduates can also pursue careers in education and science policy.