Before you die, what do you want to see become a reality

• Thread starter MathJakob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reality
In summary: Some examples:Without being ridiculous and try to keep it within the boundaries of what could be possible, what would you like to see become a reality more than anything else?Some examples:Discovery of life elsewhere.Servant robots.Digitisation of the brain.A cure for cancer.Conclusive proof other dimensions exist.How the big bang happend.Discovery of another universe.World Peace.
MathJakob
Without being ridiculous and try to keep it within the boundaries of what could be possible, what would you like to see become a reality more than anything else?

Some examples:

Discovery of life elsewhere.
Servant robots.
Digitisation of the brain.
A cure for cancer.
Conclusive proof other dimensions exist.
How the big bang happend.
Discovery of another universe
World Peace.

ect

Physics news on Phys.org
Live a long life, raise a family, and spend my life doing the things I love.

I'll give into the beauty queens and say "world peace". There will always be disagreements and conflict, but it would be great to see killings stopped, especially the killings of innocents.

World Peace, but since this is impossible to happen anyway I would choose discovery of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. As intelligent as humans at least. Within this context, I would like to see a human-alien collaboration.

Discovering life on another planet would be the biggest discovery since Newton discovered gravity.
I would choose that.
Even if it was just some coherent radio signals from elsewhere in the universe of alien music or maybe even their voices, I would die happy.

A sustainable Earth.
A discovery of some kind of extraterrestrial life.
A quantum theory of gravity.

Oh, these are modest wishes :smile:.

Based on your examples of what you think is possible within a current lifetime...I want my replicator. Tea! Earl Grey. Hot!

Evo said:
Based on your examples of what you think is possible within a current lifetime...I want my replicator. Tea! Earl Grey. Hot!

I'd really like to see quantum computing become a reality, along with the discovery of intelligent life or the gradual colonisation of Mars. I know there are so many variables where the colonisation of Mars is concerned but with the rapid development of technology, I'd like to think it is doable.

lol

immortality.

Evo said:
Assuming they don't cost much to build, or in terms of energy to operate, these would be my choice, too.

Better mental health care system.
Discovery of alien life , intelligent or not.
More opportunities to make a living for pure mathematicians and theoretical physicists.
Less importance given to money and possessions.
Better education system.
More general respect for the elders from the younger generations.

Last edited:
reenmachine said:
More general respect for the elders from the younger generations.

More general respect from the elders for the seventh generation...

OmCheeto said:
More general respect from the elders for the seventh generation...

I don't know what the seventh generation is.

I guess I should also have said that I wish for better overall parenting in the world , but all of these ideas are wishful thinking at it's finest.

I vote for ect.

Likes 1 person
I'd like all humans to have self-determination, and to respect others' right to self-determination as well.

Scentless scented car air fresheners.

Itd be nice to be happy

DennisN said:

I'm not sure either. It is one of the choices offered, and none of the others grabbed me:

MathJakob said:
Some examples:

Discovery of life elsewhere.
Servant robots.
Digitisation of the brain.
A cure for cancer.
Conclusive proof other dimensions exist.
How the big bang happend.
Discovery of another universe
World Peace.

ect

zoobyshoe said:
Assuming they don't cost much to build, or in terms of energy to operate, these would be my choice, too.

You could make one with a box of earl grey, a robot arm (like on Back to the future), a supply of hot water, a microphone and a raspberry-pi trained to detect the word Tea from Evo. The arm slides a cup into place drops an earl grey teabag into it and then activates the hot water controls and bingo hot earl grey tea.

Future models can include other teas, condiments and some fancier programming.

Or you can franchise a StarBucks and let the barristas do it.

Space colonization! The ability to get on some sort of spaceship and go to Jupiter in a few days...

What would I like? An end to all superstitions and hernias!

Oh wait, Ghost-in-the-Shell technology might accomplish both, so I'll vote for that. :biggrin:

I would like to see a theory of high Tc superconductors be able to predict the Tc of superconductors from first principles.

I would like to see room temperature superconductors discovered, made cost effective, and broadly implemented in our infrastructure.

Id like to see political cooperation and increased societal valuation of knowledge and learning.

Id like to see advances in spintronics further revolutionize information technology.

Id like to see broad expansions of fundamental research in industry and at national labs.

Definitely the cure for cancer... all of them.

Magic in general.

The discovery of extraterrestrial life, no matter how primitive or intelligent
Artificial intelligence on a human scale or more advanced
Total synthesis of life, artificial or natural
A unification of General Relativity and quantum mechanics, or a "Theory of Everything"
Large-scale access to space
Significant advances in medicine, but those are hard to break down to single events

leroyjenkens said:
Discovering life on another planet would be the biggest discovery since Newton discovered gravity.
Newton "just" found formulas for it and generalized it for other objects in space, the concept of "falling down" was known (discovered?) long before him.

krash661 said:
immortality.
Does that count as "before you die"? :D

I want to see cure for all kinds of incurable disease not only cancer.

I' d really like to be alive the day humankind will realize a journey to another star, but I believe it's unlikely to happen*. I sometimes ask myself if I would be prepare to leave Earth myself, if I were asked to do so. I don't know what my answer would be, but I like to think it'd be "Hell, yeah!" :smile:

*and, damn it, maybe for only a few hundreds of years :frown:

Last edited:
What Jean Luc Pickard said to the 20th century stock broker that found himself in the 24th century.

handyman2 said:
I want to see cure for all kinds of incurable disease not only cancer.
Me too. Also I would be happy to see all mentally/physically disadvantaged people cured.
- Nuclear fusion or anything else coming to cover our energy needs.
- Everybody having access to clean water, enough food and medication.
- No government/corporations trying to control its people. Internet still free.

The technological singularity. Human consciousness will be transferred to machines, so technically you will be able to live forever :)

Some great posts I enjoy reading them, keep them coming :D

I think witnessing the announcement of aliens on national TV or seeing them with my own eyes would make me cry with happiness. I don't think there is anything else I want to be more true than that. As for after long term I'd like to see more money being put into the sciences instead of wars.

MathJakob said:
Some great posts I enjoy reading them, keep them coming :D

I think witnessing the announcement of aliens on national TV or seeing them with my own eyes would make me cry with happiness. I don't think there is anything else I want to be more true than that. As for after long term I'd like to see more money being put into the sciences instead of wars.

I always liked the Twilight Zone story of the benevolent aliens coming to Earth promising so much and presenting the President (I think) with a book entitled: To Serve Mankind written in alien language

Everyone wanted to visit their planet and as people were boarding the ship, a philologist studying the alien language realizes the true meaning of the book...

jedishrfu said:
I always liked the Twilight Zone story of the benevolent aliens coming to Earth promising so much and presenting the President (I think) with a book entitled: To Serve Mankind written in alien language

Everyone wanted to visit their planet and as people were boarding the ship, a philologist studying the alien language realizes the true meaning of the book...

The thing about humans is we're so arrogant that even if super advanced beings came to Earth we'd probably attack them. That's why so many people think that if aliens come to Earth they will be aggressive, because that is how we would act.

So because we act that way, we assume other intelligent life would act the same, who knows there are probably life forms out there that just want to conquer and enslave but I believe there are other beings that want peace.

Biological explanation of Consciousness (Subjective experience).

And maybe Fermat's Last Theorem (using only Number Theory, without modern mathematics)

cheap, renewable, easy access energy. ...oh how that would throw economics for a loop.

Climate change that favors Canada.

A common understanding on the difference between hungry and starving.

<h2>1. What is the significance of asking this question?</h2><p>Asking this question allows individuals to reflect on their desires and goals, and encourages them to take action towards making their dreams a reality.</p><h2>2. Can the answer to this question change over time?</h2><p>Yes, the answer to this question can change as individuals grow and experience new things. What one wants to see become a reality may evolve as they gain new knowledge and perspectives.</p><h2>3. How can answering this question benefit me?</h2><p>Answering this question can provide motivation and direction in life. It can also help individuals prioritize their goals and make decisions that align with their desires.</p><h2>4. Is it possible for everyone's answer to come true?</h2><p>While it may not be possible for everyone's answer to come true, it is important to have hope and work towards making our dreams a reality. Additionally, one person's dream becoming a reality can have a positive impact on others.</p><h2>5. Can this question be applied to scientific research?</h2><p>Yes, this question can be applied to scientific research by encouraging scientists to think about the impact and potential applications of their work. It can also help guide research towards addressing important and meaningful goals.</p>

1. What is the significance of asking this question?

Asking this question allows individuals to reflect on their desires and goals, and encourages them to take action towards making their dreams a reality.

2. Can the answer to this question change over time?

Yes, the answer to this question can change as individuals grow and experience new things. What one wants to see become a reality may evolve as they gain new knowledge and perspectives.

3. How can answering this question benefit me?

Answering this question can provide motivation and direction in life. It can also help individuals prioritize their goals and make decisions that align with their desires.

4. Is it possible for everyone's answer to come true?

While it may not be possible for everyone's answer to come true, it is important to have hope and work towards making our dreams a reality. Additionally, one person's dream becoming a reality can have a positive impact on others.

5. Can this question be applied to scientific research?

Yes, this question can be applied to scientific research by encouraging scientists to think about the impact and potential applications of their work. It can also help guide research towards addressing important and meaningful goals.